Creating an Image 2x Size of Object w/ Convex Lens: Half Focal Length Away

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Gear2d
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A converging lens (convex lens) creates an image that is 2 times the size of the object. The object is placed:


Homework Equations



-di/do = hi/ho
1/f = 1/di + 1/do

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought the answer was that the object is place two focal lengths in front of the lens. But the answer says its half a focal length in front of the lens.

I mean: -di/do = hi/ho = 2
-di = 2do
1/f = 1/di + 1/do
= -1/2do + 1/do = 1/2do
f = 2do

Isn't f=2do saying two focal lengths?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gear2d said:

Homework Statement


A converging lens (convex lens) creates an image that is 2 times the size of the object. The object is placed:


Homework Equations



-di/do = hi/ho
1/f = 1/di + 1/do

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought the answer was that the object is place two focal lengths in front of the lens. But the answer says its half a focal length in front of the lens.

I mean: -di/do = hi/ho = 2
-di = 2do
1/f = 1/di + 1/do
= -1/2do + 1/do = 1/2do
f = 2do

Isn't f=2do saying two focal lengths?

I'm not sure what you mean. If [itex]f=10[/itex] for example, then [itex]d_o=5[/itex], so [itex]d_o[/itex] is half the focal length.
 
So simple, thanks. I guess I just missed an easy answer by thinking too much (or thinking to less).

Thanks again
 
Gear2d said:
Isn't f=2do saying two focal lengths?

No.

f=2do is saying do=f/2, or half a focal length.

(do=2f would be saying two focal lengths.)