Creating an Online Study Group - Options?

In summary, the speaker is preparing for an intense summer course in Elementary Abstract Algebra and is considering online study group options for better chances of success. They mention the website thinkbinder.com but are hesitant to sign up without seeing the interface. They also suggest creating a Google+ group using their school's Gmail email system. Another member of the group suggests using a Google group for email communication and how it worked well for their university group, even with members in different specializations. However, the speaker is concerned about flooding inboxes and not being able to track individual replies. They are open to other ideas and options.
dkotschessaa
I'll be taking an Elementary Abstract algebra class in Summer B (six week session) at my University. It will likely be pretty intense. (I actually requested/petitioned the class and got it). I want to do what I can so that me and my classmates will [STRIKE]survive[/STRIKE] do well in the class, so I'm thinking now of online study group options. (As well as doing a real one during our off days).

I came across this site: www.thinkbinder.com

So far I see a lot of marketing and "join now!" but no way for me to look at the interface before I sign up.

Since our school e-mail uses gmail, I am also thinking of creating a google+ group. That way nobody really has to create a new account on a new website.

I'm open to other options and ideas.

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
In our group in my University, we created a Google group, so that when one sent some email all the others would get it and could answer... clearly email is not the most immediate way of suggesting some things, but this worked really well for us... any of us could ask for help to all the others and see what the others had to say. Even now we are in different specializations (always physics clearly but some experimental and some theoreticians, and also scattered around a little) this works great. Also an advantage is that not all even need a google account, you can add others with different providers with no problem =)

Yeah, my only problem with that is that there's some people who might not want to get the whole conversation. So I wanted to kind of make it an option rather than flooding people's inboxes with group e-mails.

And then often times somebody will reply only to the individual, so you're not sure if somebody answered a question or not.

1. What are the benefits of creating an online study group?

Creating an online study group can have several benefits, such as providing a sense of community and support, allowing for easy communication and collaboration, increasing productivity, and providing access to different perspectives and resources.

2. What are the different options for creating an online study group?

There are several options for creating an online study group, including using social media platforms such as Facebook or WhatsApp, using video conferencing tools like Zoom or Google Meet, or using online study group platforms specifically designed for students.

3. How do I choose the best option for my study group?

The best option for your study group will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as the size of your group, the features and tools you require, and the level of privacy and security you need.

4. What are the important factors to consider when setting up an online study group?

When setting up an online study group, some important factors to consider include establishing clear communication guidelines, setting a schedule for meetings and study sessions, creating a system for sharing and organizing study materials, and ensuring that all group members are comfortable with the chosen platform.

5. How can I ensure the success of my online study group?

To ensure the success of your online study group, it is important to actively participate and engage with other members, establish a positive and supportive group dynamic, maintain a consistent schedule, and regularly review and reflect on your progress and goals as a group.