1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating an Online Study Group - Options?

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    I'll be taking an Elementary Abstract algebra class in Summer B (six week session) at my University. It will likely be pretty intense. (I actually requested/petitioned the class and got it). I want to do what I can so that me and my classmates will [STRIKE]survive[/STRIKE] do well in the class, so I'm thinking now of online study group options. (As well as doing a real one during our off days).

I came across this site: www.thinkbinder.com

So far I see a lot of marketing and "join now!" but no way for me to look at the interface before I sign up.

Since our school e-mail uses gmail, I am also thinking of creating a google+ group. That way nobody really has to create a new account on a new website.

I'm open to other options and ideas.

-Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2013 #2
    In our group in my University, we created a Google group, so that when one sent some email all the others would get it and could answer... clearly email is not the most immediate way of suggesting some things, but this worked really well for us... any of us could ask for help to all the others and see what the others had to say. Even now we are in different specializations (always physics clearly but some experimental and some theoreticians, and also scattered around a little) this works great. Also an advantage is that not all even need a google account, you can add others with different providers with no problem =)

4. May 3, 2013 #3
    Yeah, my only problem with that is that there's some people who might not want to get the whole conversation. So I wanted to kind of make it an option rather than flooding people's inboxes with group e-mails.

And then often times somebody will reply only to the individual, so you're not sure if somebody answered a question or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook