Calculus 2 Online Course Required

In summary: Any other advice that you could share would be much appreciated!In summary, a physics and math major said to another physics and math major that taking an online Calculus 2 course over the summer is "awful." The other physics and math major says that the class should be easy for the student, but the student is worried about the professor. The other physics and math major says that the student should study daily and stay on top of things.
LadyAkatosh
Hey everyone!

I started back at my university after a 3 & 1/2 year break and changed my major from Journalism to Physics last May. I am coming up on my finals in a couple of weeks for the Spring Semester and then I will be taking a class over the summer and doing research. My grades are great and I plan to keep that up until graduation!

Unfortunately, the class that I need to take over the summer is an online Calculus 2 course and I am VERY NERVOUS! It's seven and a half weeks long and exclusively online since my campus no longer offers calculus classes in person over the summer since enrollment is so low for summer math courses. Taking this class is not optional as I need it to move forward with all of my physics and math courses in the fall, since all of my core curriculum was completed when I was a Journalism major.

Everyone that I have talked to who is a physics or math major says the same thing when I say that I am taking Calculus 2 online over the summer, "Oh noooo. That's awful. Good luck to you! We'll pray for you...blah blah blah" and it's starting to really worry me.

Is there anything that I can do to prepare myself for this, maybe online resources or anything else that could help me stay on top of it?

Thankfully I know the professor (he taught my first class back last May, Pre-Calculus and I got an A in his course), and he's a tough grader but very fair. I figured I could go talk to him before the summer term starts to get his opinion as well.

Any thoughts/tips? Thank you so much for listening!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start studying for calculus 2 right now! You'll need a decent mastery of the beginning. Spend some time every day in reading the book and solving problems. Start today.

Likes LadyAkatosh and symbolipoint
But keep in mind that, at least in my experience, students have a tendency to exaggerate the difficulty of some classes, particularly calculus 2. If you study daily and stay on top of things, you should be fine.

Likes LadyAkatosh
Okay great thank you for the advice! I have done great with Calculus 1 and just have the final left so I will definitely start reading ahead and doing problems!

I also agree that students exaggerate too, I think it just threw me off a bit!

What is Calculus 2 and why is it required for an online course?

Calculus 2 is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of integrals, derivatives, and their applications. It is required for an online course because it builds upon the foundational concepts of Calculus 1 and provides a deeper understanding of mathematical principles that are essential for many fields of study.

What topics are typically covered in a Calculus 2 online course?

A Calculus 2 online course typically covers topics such as techniques of integration, applications of integrals, sequences and series, polar coordinates, and parametric equations. It may also include topics such as vectors, partial derivatives, and multiple integrals.

What are the benefits of taking a Calculus 2 online course?

Taking a Calculus 2 online course allows for flexibility in learning, as students can access course materials and complete assignments at their own pace. It also provides the opportunity for students to review and revisit concepts as needed, and can be a more cost-effective option compared to traditional in-person courses.

What are some tips for success in a Calculus 2 online course?

Some tips for success in a Calculus 2 online course include staying organized, actively participating in online discussions and asking questions, practicing regularly, seeking help from the instructor or online resources when needed, and staying on top of deadlines.

Are there any prerequisites for taking a Calculus 2 online course?

Yes, most online courses require students to have completed a Calculus 1 course or have a strong understanding of its concepts. Some courses may also require knowledge of precalculus or algebra. It is important to check the course requirements before enrolling.