Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating : one frame at a time

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    hey guys,
    this may sound dumb, but if it takes an observer to collapse a wave form and create reality, and if the human eye works at about 25 frames per second, does that mean that we only create everything around us every 0.04 seconds?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No. Your premise is simply incorrect. It's not true that QM says a human being "creates reality".

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

"25 frames/sec" has no particular physical or perceptual significance. It's just a rather arbitrary number taken from the PAL TV format. Which in turn is due to the 50 Hz European power grid (North America has a 60 Hz grid, and the 30 fps NTSC standard). And the 50 Hz power grid standard is just due to AEG having decided way back in the 19th century that 50 was a nice, 'almost metric' number that was still large enough to not cause significant flicker in early incandescent bulbs.

5. Apr 9, 2009 #4
    Observer not collapase wave form - no, not physics - but brains ticking at 40 Hertzs that strobscopes make weird - this biologoy.

6. Apr 9, 2009 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I have equipments that measure something up to 3 picoseconds time resolution. That fact in itself should falsify your question.

Zz.

7. Apr 9, 2009 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not to mention that the universe was around long before human eyes.

8. Apr 9, 2009 #7
    oh. haha i'm dumb.

9. Apr 10, 2009 #8

alxm

Science Advisor

Femtoseconds (1E-15) even.

10. Apr 10, 2009 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I know there are, but I am not in possession of such equipment or use any regularly.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook