Creating YouTube content based on physics

In summary: They are okay, but they should be used sparingly as they can be jarring to the viewer.In summary, if you want to make physics or maths videos like PatrickJMT, you will need a good camera, a good microphone, and good editing software. You should also make sure that the audio and video quality are good.
issacnewton
Hello

I wish to create my own physics problem videos like PatrickJMT. I emailed him about that on his webpage, but he did not reply. Can anyone tell me how to create maths/physics videos like him ?
https://www.youtube.com/user/patrickJMT
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you considered trying something like what Sal Khan does with his Khan Academy videos? With (probably) a 50 dollar investment into the right tech, you should be able to make videos like him. He has publicly shared how he makes his videos.

What exactly do you want to do like him? It shouldn't be difficult to replicate his style of presentation with some work.

I am interested in technical aspects of creating such videos. What cameras are needed etc. I will check Sal Khan's site if he has posted about such things. I think Sal uses some kind of digital pen tablet. And Patrick uses some kind of camera which focuses on the paper on which he is solving the problem.

IssacNewton said:
I am interested in technical aspects of creating such videos. What cameras are needed etc. I will check Sal Khan's site if he has posted about such things. I think Sal uses some kind of digital pen tablet. And Patrick uses some kind of camera which focuses on the paper on which he is solving the problem.
I found this on a Quora post (I couldn't find the original link):
I use Camtasia Recorder ($200) + SmoothDraw3(Free) + a Wacom Bamboo Tablet ($80) on a PC. I used to use ScreenVideoRecorder($20) and Microsoft Paint (Free).

Edit: This is quite an expensive set up, the bamboo tablet is really all you need, or a convertible laptop tablet. PatrickJMT's set up is much easier and affordable. Any camera should focus on the paper if you adjust it.

Ok thanks for the information. I will look further into it.

Ah. I used his videos to help me through all 3 calculus courses. Quite helpful. To think that a couple of minutes from him helped me better than hours of classes with university professors o:).

Did you try YouTube Academy? Me neither. This is a post from someone who has never ever published in YouTube, but with comments regarding what I would do if I were to make content for YouTube.

Video: Never have I ever made a video for YouTube, but if your budget allows it, get a good camera. If it were me (and I'm not you :-p), I'd get a Mirorless 60fps camera. Make the video such that if there is ever a wide panorama, it is blurred and the focus is on the part of interest. That makes it so much easy on the eyes of the viewer as involuntarily the mind focuses on the sharp crystal clear parts. For example look at this video. See how pleasant it was the image of the cat while at the bicycle? The background was blurred and the cat looked crystal clear despite the YouTube's 480p downgraded resolution. You can even see the cat's whiskers with exalted detail.

Edit: He has in the video description the camera he used on the video. It's a mirrorless one. And the lens too is in the description. I died when I saw the price :confused:.

Audio: Get a good microphone. If needed, edit the audio to remove background noise. Make sure that whatever algorithm is used in audio editing can be repeated for uniform results across your videos.

Content: Regarding the content, I always looked up after videos that went straight to the point. No dubstep intros, or any other intro for that matter. A second or two seconds greeting characteristic of you should be enough. Students like tutors that go straight to the point. Intros are annoying and undesirable. Not to mention they consume bandwidth from data plans (in case they are accessing it through a cellphone) and tablets or cellphones make it hard to navigate the video accurately.

Preparation: I cannot put enough emphasis on this. Preparation is key. Master the exercise you will show how to solve. In my opinion transitions are okay if they don't happen in all your videos, but let the viewer know that a transition occurred by saying for example: "You probably just saw a small transition. I had a little problem with these numbers, but we are back..." and then you continue. Or "I just had my epic/weird cat calling me at the door, but we are back... :cool:" You know, stuff like that. Older adults won't like that kind of talk. They'll say it's unprofessional, etc. But honestly, if your target is the younger, they probably won't mind. They might even like it and gain interest in your cat and ask you questions and videos from it. Comments like: "Show us you cat!" It's up to you to be dead serious or a good sport :wink:. Transitions that happen through video effects take more time than spoken transitions and sometimes it is annoying to see special video effects on the video.

Finally, all in all, pretty much all YouTubers beg for likes. I have always disliked that practice. I've always found it of very bad taste to ask for likes. But that's up to you. If it were me, I wouldn't ask for likes or ask anyone to subscribe. I would take my feedback from the comments, not based on likes/dislikes or subscriptions. However, reality is that I have seen that those who don't ask for likes or subscriptions, rarely get any likes or subscriptions. People pass from them. I will never understand that, but those have been my observations.

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor and lekh2003
For audio I would recommend some basic soundproofing, if your budget does not allow it I would focus on some simple DIY soundproofing. It does not need to be great, it just needs to be enough to prevent echos and loud noises

Likes Spinnor
Sorry for late reply. These are all nice suggestions.

These are interesting approaches...

http://www.learning.glass/

I wish their ink were digital.
I'm waiting for a tablet-pc on a transparent glass surface.

1. What makes a successful YouTube video about physics?

A successful YouTube video about physics should have a clear and engaging topic, accurate and well-researched information, high-quality visuals and graphics, and a strong delivery by the creator.

2. How can I incorporate physics into my YouTube content without it being too complex?

One way to make physics more approachable for viewers is to break down complex concepts into smaller, more digestible pieces. You can also use relatable examples or analogies to help explain difficult concepts.

3. Are there any copyright concerns when using images or videos related to physics in my YouTube content?

Yes, it is important to ensure that you have the proper permissions or licenses to use any copyrighted material in your YouTube videos. You can either create your own visuals or use royalty-free images and videos from reputable sources.

4. How can I make my physics YouTube videos more interactive?

One way to make your videos more interactive is to include demonstrations or experiments that viewers can follow along with. You can also encourage viewers to ask questions or leave comments, which you can address in future videos.

5. What are some effective ways to promote my YouTube content about physics?

You can promote your YouTube content through social media platforms, collaborations with other creators, and by optimizing your video titles, descriptions, and tags for search engines. It is also important to engage with your audience and respond to comments and questions to build a loyal following.