1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creation of a fundamental particle

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    Do I always have to use pair production for the fundamental particles... If I have to produce a fermion,I have to create an anti fermion at the same time? what about bosons? i mean what about those who doesn't have antiparticle? Or do I have to create 2 of them as they themselves are their own anti particle?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm a bit puzzled here.

An electron is a "fundamental particle". I can create it easily via either the photoelectric effect, or thermionic emission. I have created no positron in that process, i.e. I didn't use any pair production.

Zz.

4. Jan 19, 2013 #3
    @ZapperZ
    The photoelectric effect does not create electrons - they are already present in the metal; the photon absorption just provides enough energy to free them.

@Ezio
    Yes, to create a fermion from a bosonic state, you always have to create an anti-fermion. But it is not necessarily the antiparticle - for example, a W-boson can decay to an electron and a anti-neutrino.
    This also answers the second question - In principle, you can create a single boson (for example a W-Boson from an electron and anti-neutrino. However, usually you'll need some other particle to balance energy and momentum, for example when an electron and a positron annihilate, they form two photons, not one.

5. Jan 19, 2013 #4
    I meant 'creation'... Zapperz

Sonderval: yeah u understood my ques... "a W-boson can decay to an electron and a anti-neutrino." but that's the case of beta decay... Suppose someone asks me what's the least energy required to create electron... I will say 2mc^2 as I have to create a positron too... But if someone only says fundamental particle,what should I say? E or 2E?

6. Jan 19, 2013 #5
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but conservation of charge is what comes into play here. If you had Q=0 and the create a single electron (without the oppositely charged positron) Q is no longer conserved in that process and therefore not allowed.

Particle interactions cannot violate conservation laws and there are a lot of them ;-)

7. Jan 19, 2013 #6
    @Ezio
    What's wrong with beta-decay?
    The minimum energy of course depends on the chosen reference frame. So if you create a virtual W-boson by whatever process that decays into an electron and a neutrino, the minimum energy should be the mass energy of the electron plus that of the neutrino plus the necessary kinetic energy to balance the momenta - all taken in the rest frame of the center of mass of the final particles.
    I'm not sure that's a very meaningful number, though.

8. Jan 19, 2013 #7
    Well if I ask you what's the least energy required to create a fundamental particle of mass m,what would be ur answer? mc^2 or 2mc^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook