Critical Density and the expanding universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the belief among physicists that the mass and dark energy in the universe add up to the critical density, leading to the idea that the universe will continue to expand forever. The question arises as to how something that is already infinite can expand and how the universe could have been infinite at t=0 when it was impossibly dense. The response suggests that expansion can be measured locally without needing information about the ends, and the big bang theory does not make any assertions about t=0.
Matt Walker
Okay, here's my problem. I've recently read that physicists believe that all the mass and dark energy in the universe do indeed add up to the critical density, which means that the universe will continue to expand forever, at zero curvature, and is either finite (like a torus) or infinite. And apparently many physicists suspect it to be infinite. Now, my question is, how on Earth can something that is already infinite expand? And also how could the universe possibly have been infinite at t=0 when it was also impossibly dense?

Just a heads up - I'm not a particularly 'mathematically inclined' reader.

If anyone has an answer I'd like to hear it :D

Space news on Phys.org
I suspect the problem behind your first question is that you imagine expansion as defined by the distance between the ends of an object, i.e. a rubber band expands when you pull the two ends apart. But this isn't entirely neccesary for the definition: you can define a local expansion as the change in distance between two nearby points on the rubber band, for example if you put two ink dots 1mm apart and then stretched the band, you can measure the new distance between the dots and then measure the local expansion. Nowhere in this measurement do you need any information about the ends of the band. This is similar to what we do in cosmology- we measure the change in distance between two "local" points, which are nearby galaxies, and find the distance is increasing. We don't know anything about whether the universe is infinite or not, but we know the two galaxies are moving further apart, and we find this for lots of galaxies.

So we deduce that the universe is expanding without being able to make any concrete deductions about its overall extent.

Regarding the second question, my understanding of the big bang theory is that there are no assertions about what happens at t=0, only at certain times afterwards, e.g. after 300 seconds we know that nucleosynthesis occurred, and after 300,000 years we know recombination and then decoupling of photons and electrons occurred. We don't know that the universe was infinitely dense at t=0 or what happened at this time. Someone else might be able to be more specific in response to this question.

1. What is critical density and how does it relate to the expanding universe?

Critical density refers to the amount of matter and energy that would result in a flat, infinite universe. This means that the expansion rate of the universe would eventually slow down to a constant rate. The concept of critical density is important in understanding the fate of the universe and the role of dark matter and dark energy in its expansion.

2. How is critical density calculated?

Critical density is calculated using the critical density parameter, which is denoted as Ωm. This parameter represents the ratio of the actual matter density to the critical density. To calculate critical density, scientists use data from observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe.

3. What is the role of dark matter in critical density?

Dark matter is believed to be the major contributor to the overall mass and density of the universe. Its presence is necessary in order for the universe to have a critical density. Without dark matter, the universe would be expanding at a much faster rate and would not have enough mass to eventually slow down its expansion.

4. How does critical density affect the fate of the universe?

If the actual density of the universe is equal to the critical density, the universe will continue to expand at a constant rate. This is known as a flat universe. However, if the actual density is less than the critical density, the universe will continue to expand forever. On the other hand, if the actual density is greater than the critical density, the universe will eventually stop expanding and collapse in on itself, resulting in a closed universe.

5. Can critical density change over time?

Yes, critical density can change over time as the universe continues to expand. This is because the amount of matter and energy in the universe is not constant and can fluctuate. In the early stages of the universe, critical density was much higher due to the higher concentration of matter and energy. As the universe expands and matter and energy become more spread out, critical density decreases. However, the overall concept of critical density remains the same - it is the amount of matter and energy needed for a flat, infinite universe.