Does the Universe's Expansion lead to Critical Mass < 1?

In summary, the universe is flat if the sum of the energy of all the matter in the universe is zero, and it changes shape if the energy of any part of the universe is not zero.
HappyMonster3000
We understand that for the Universe to be flat, the critical mass of everything that has mass must total an omega of 1.0.

At first, with our lack of knowledge regarding dark energy, we thought that the universe that we detected (ordinary matter and dark matter) did not even add up to a third of this critical amount. Yet, the observable universe was found to be flat.

Enter dark energy. Its corresponding mass (I'm making the assumption that this is due to mass-energy equivalence) is thought to bring up the universe's mass up to the critical density needed for a flat universe.

As the universe expands, there is more total dark energy as the amount of volume increases and the density remains constant. Yet, the amount of ordinary matter and dark matter remain the same.

Therefore, as the universe expands, the total amount of mass per unit volume must be decreasing.

So wouldn't that imply that over time, the density of the universe is decreasing to below a density of 1?

Below is a mathematical interpretation of what I'm getting at:

• Ordinary Matter: 0.04 of Critical Density
  • Dark Matter: 0.24 of Critical Density
  • Dark Energy: 0.72 of Critical Density
In a flat universe:

(0.04 + 0.24 + 0.72) / 1 = 1.00 Flat Universe

Now, let's say that the universe expands to twice its size:

Ordinary matter (0.04) and dark matter (0.24) still have the same amount of mass, but spread over twice the volume. Only dark energy's density is constant, so its mass increases by the corresponding amount (0.74 * 2):

(0.04 + 0.24 + 0.72 * 2) / 2 = 0.02 + 0.12 + 0.72 = 0.86 Saddle Shaped Universe

Is it possible that as the volume of the universe increases, its density (and hence shape) changes so that it's no longer flat, given that no new ordinary matter or dark matter is added?

Space news on Phys.org
A constant ##\Lambda## does not imply a constant ##\Omega_\Lambda##. The critical density changes with time as it depends on the Hubble rate.

We should know where the Ω function comes.
[tex]\Omega_i=\frac{\rho_i}{\rho_c}[/tex] where ρc is the critical density (those who gives a flat universe) and ρi is the density of what we're considering (matter, dark energy...).
If the universe is flat, the critical density and the density is the same, so Ω=1.
If we write [tex]\Omega=\sum{\Omega_i}=\sum{\rho_i}=\rho[/tex] and we multiply both sides by the Volume, we get that [tex]E(t)=\sum{E(t)_i}[/tex] where E(t) is the energy (equivalent to the matter). So the volume doesn't modify the equation.
Finally we can ask for the energy to be constant. That's the same as do [tex]\frac{dE(t)}{dt}=0=\frac{d}{dt}\sum{E(t)_i}=0→\sum{E(t)_i}=0[/tex] so, if the sum of the energies of each part of the universe must be zero (and then is needed to exist some negative energy, that's the dark energy). If this happens, he universe is flat.

1. What is critical mass in relation to the expansion of the universe?

Critical mass refers to the amount of matter needed in the universe for its expansion to eventually slow down and stop. If the universe's mass is less than this critical mass, it will continue to expand forever.

2. How does the universe's expansion relate to critical mass?

The universe's expansion is directly related to critical mass, as it determines whether the universe will continue to expand indefinitely or eventually slow down and reach a point of equilibrium.

3. Is there evidence that the universe's expansion will lead to critical mass < 1?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the universe's expansion will lead to a critical mass < 1. In fact, current measurements suggest that the universe's mass is close to or equal to the critical mass, meaning it will eventually stop expanding.

4. What would happen if critical mass < 1 is reached?

If the universe's mass were to somehow reach a critical mass < 1, it would continue to expand at an accelerated rate, eventually leading to a "Big Rip" scenario where all matter in the universe would be torn apart.

5. How does dark energy play a role in the universe's expansion and critical mass?

Dark energy, a mysterious force that is thought to make up the majority of the universe's mass, is believed to be the driving force behind the universe's expansion. It is also a major factor in determining the critical mass of the universe, as it affects the overall rate of expansion.