1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Exponents in the 1D Ising Model

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Obtain the critical exponents for specific heat, susceptibility, and the order parameter (magnetization).

2. Relevant equations
    $$A = -k_B T N \ln \left[e^{\beta J} \cosh (\beta h) +\sqrt{ e^{2\beta J}\sinh^2 \beta h + e^{-2\beta J} }\right]$$
    $$\left<m \right> \propto \frac{\partial A}{\partial h} \to \frac{\sinh (\beta h)}{\sqrt{\sinh ^2(\beta h)+e^{-4 \beta J}}}$$
    $$\chi_T = \left(\frac {\partial \left<m \right>}{\partial h} \right)_T = \frac{\beta \cosh (\beta h)}{\sqrt{\sinh ^2(\beta h)+e^{-4 \beta J}}}-\frac{\beta \sinh ^2(\beta h) \cosh (\beta h)}{\left(\sinh ^2(\beta h)+e^{-4 \beta J}\right)^{3/2}} $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can understand how to derive these various expressions above but I don't know how to determine the critical exponent using them. The "base" for this exponent shold be ##e^{-\beta J}##.

So I need to show for example ## \chi \sim \left( e^{-\beta J}\right)^p ## as ##\beta \to 0##. I have tried using the formal definition of asymptotic and found exponent 0 for magnetization, but I'm not sure this is correct. Also it appears for the susceptibility there is no value of p for which the susceptibility will be asymptotic. So maybe they critical exponents come from a looser definition then asymptoticity?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2
    Sorry that should be ##\beta\to \infty##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted