Cross-linking Polyvinyl Alcohol

• Thread starter SkepticJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary: It's got a bit of a slimy texture, but it's not exactly stringy.Methylcellulose is a type of sugar molecule that is used in many products. It is often used in place of sugar in baking recipes. It can be a little difficult to work with because it becomes viscous when it is wet. You can use an extract of boiled okra to make the slime more stringy.
SkepticJ
Some friends and I are working on a movie, and we need a very stringy clear slime; like is produced with polyvinyl alcohol cross-linked with disodium tetraborate. Only we need it to be food-safe, so we can't simply use that. Is there another way to cross-link PVA into a stringy slime using edible chemicals?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A few days ago I watched the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and therein was a slime that had pretty much the mechanical properties I'm looking for, and was edible. It wasn't transparent, but milky translucent. And green -- but that's just food coloring. What could it have been made of?

Is cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol using an edible compound just not possible, at least yet?

It probably wasn't PVA-based. It could be any number of starches, gums or soluble polymers. Have you seen Guar gum by itself or Carageenan? How about plain Methocel or Ethocel?

OP ,

I happen know that PVA with suitable macromers in water formulation would have the properties that you've mentioned ; also you can experiment with saturating water with the PVA and perhaps PVAc in water .

Thanks, guys. :smile:

Re: Methylcellulose

I got some of it weeks ago, and tried it out. It's not the right texture. It's not stringy at all, but more like a yogurt.

The other stuff mentioned looks like it will work.

Are you referring to Carboxymethyl cellulose ? From what I remember this is not exactly clear in water except at lower concentrations . It can get viscous as it is used as a lubricant .

Use the methocel to provide the base viscosity and blend with an extract of boiled okra for the stringiness.

I see that galactose dialdehyde can be used as http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TFF-43HJRBJ-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=bb39c841992b0482f858b0de5a3ea6bd"

Finding a food grade aldehyde that I would trust will be a problem though.

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
Use the methocel to provide the base viscosity and blend with an extract of boiled okra for the stringiness.

Ah, mucilage - brilliant idea, there. :smile:

GCT said:
Are you referring to Carboxymethyl cellulose ?

I don't think so, but I wouldn't rule out that being what it is. The container just says methylcellulose -- bought it from a special FX supply company.

It looks quite clear in water to me; though if I mix up a really thick batch (a ball of it will hold its shape against gravity, mostly), it's translucent.

What is cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol?

Cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol is a process in which chemical bonds are formed between polymer chains of polyvinyl alcohol molecules. This creates a three-dimensional network that improves the physical properties of the polymer, such as strength, flexibility, and water resistance.

What are the benefits of cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol?

Cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol improves the mechanical properties of the polymer, making it stronger and more flexible. It also increases its water resistance, making it suitable for use in applications where exposure to moisture is a concern. Additionally, cross-linking can improve the thermal stability and chemical resistance of polyvinyl alcohol.

How is cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol achieved?

Cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol can be achieved through various methods, such as chemical cross-linking using cross-linking agents like aldehydes or acids, or physical cross-linking through processes like radiation or UV light exposure. Each method has different advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific requirements of the application.

What are the applications of cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol?

Cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol has a wide range of applications, including in the production of adhesives, coatings, films, and fibers. It is also commonly used in the manufacturing of paper and paperboard to improve their strength and water resistance. Other applications include biodegradable packaging, medical devices, and as a binder in ceramics and composites.

Are there any potential drawbacks of cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol?

While cross-linking polyvinyl alcohol can offer many benefits, it can also have some drawbacks. The cross-linking process can be time-consuming and require specialized equipment, making it more expensive compared to non-cross-linked polyvinyl alcohol. Additionally, some cross-linking agents or methods may result in decreased biodegradability of the polymer.