Cross Section for Asteroid Impact

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the cross section for an earth-asteroid collision, assuming that the Earth is fixed in space and the asteroid's radius is much smaller than the Earth's. The collision cross section is found by multiplying (bmax)2 by π, where bmax is the maximum impact parameter. To simplify the expression for the cross section, v is written in terms of ve, the escape speed from the surface of the Earth, and a constant of proportionality C. After plugging in ve=sqrt(2GM/R), the final expression for the cross section is S=πR2+πR2Me/Cm. However, the conversation also notes that the final answer does not depend on m or Me
ebjessee

Homework Statement

In this problem, you will estimate the cross section for an earth-asteroid collision. In all that follows, assume that the Earth is fixed in space and that the radius of the asteroid is much less than the radius R of the earth. The mass of the Earth is M_e, and the mass of the asteroid is m. Use G for the universal gravitational constant.
MUG_ev_5_0.jpg

I've already solved:
E_initial = (m/2)v2)
L_initial = bmv
E_at surface of Earth = ((v_f)2*m)/2 +(GmMe)/R
L_at surface of Earth = (mvfR
bmax2 = R2+(2RGMe)/v2

Where I get confused is the actual significance of bmax:

The collision cross section S represents the effective target area "seen" by the asteroid and is found by multiplying (bmax)2 by π. If the asteroid comes into this area, it is guaranteed to collide with the earth.
A simple representation of the cross section is obtained when we write v in terms of ve, the escape speed from the surface of the earth. First, find an expression for ve, and let v=Cve, where C is a constant of proportionality. Then combine this with your result for (bmax)2 to write a simple-looking expression for S in terms of R and C.

Express the collision cross section in terms of R and C.

I know that a version of ve is sqrt(2GM/R), but I have no idea how to go on from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take your expression for ve and form v = Cve? What did that do for your bmax2 equation? Show your work.

Ok. We say that v=Cve
So bmax2 = R2 + (2RGMe)/Cve2

ebjessee said:
The collision cross section S represents the effective target area "seen" by the asteroid and is found by multiplying (bmax)2 by π

Then π bmax2 = π R2 + 2π RGMe/Cve2

Distributing pi to both sides of the equations helps me see that I'm now looking at circular area equations, so that helps to but bmax into perspective. I plugged in ve = sqrt(2Gm/R) which helped me reduce the previous equation to:

S = π R2 +π R2Me/Cm

That didn't work. I got a message the answer did not depend on m or Me.

Nevermind- just forgot to square C and use the same Me. Thanks!

You want to replace ##v_e^2## in your ##b_{max}^2## equation with your expression for escape velocity right away and cancel out what can be cancelled. I don't know how m snuck into your equations...

1. What is the Cross Section for Asteroid Impact?

The Cross Section for Asteroid Impact is a measurement of the area that an asteroid would cover upon impact with a surface. It is typically measured in square kilometers or square miles.

2. How is the Cross Section for Asteroid Impact calculated?

The Cross Section for Asteroid Impact is calculated by multiplying the diameter of the asteroid by the height of the impact crater. This calculation takes into account the angle of impact and the density of the asteroid and surface materials.

3. Why is the Cross Section for Asteroid Impact important?

The Cross Section for Asteroid Impact is important because it helps us understand the potential damage and devastation that an asteroid impact could cause. It also allows us to estimate the size and strength of the asteroid based on the size of the impact crater.

4. What is the largest Cross Section for Asteroid Impact on record?

The largest Cross Section for Asteroid Impact on record is believed to be the Chicxulub crater in Mexico, measuring approximately 180 kilometers in diameter. This impact is also believed to have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs.

5. Can the Cross Section for Asteroid Impact be used to predict future impacts?

Yes, the Cross Section for Asteroid Impact can be used to predict potential future impacts. By studying the size and frequency of past impacts, scientists can estimate the likelihood of future impacts and prepare for potential consequences.