1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear reactions, cross section, reaction rate

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A beam of ##^{50}##Ti nuclei impinged on a ##0.5 mg/cm^2## thick ##^{208}##Pb target in an experiment lasting 176 hours. During that time a total of ##3260 \; ^{257}##Rf nuclei were detected. The beam intensity was throughout the experiment constant at ##6.6\mu A##. Each ##^{50}##Ti beam ion carried a charge of ##q=+15##. The efficiency for detecting ##^{257}##Rf was ##3\%##. Calculate the reaction cross section.

2. Relevant equations
    Reaction rate
    ##R=N_0\sigma I##
    where ##N_0## is the number of target particles ##\sigma## the cross section and ##I## the current of incoming particles (I assume).

3. The attempt at a solution
    As I understand it ##3\%## of the true number of ##^{257}##Rf were detected so we don't have to worry about any decay.

Secondly I assume the cross section I should calculate is actually the cross section of the entire target i.e. ##\sigma_{tot} = N_0 \sigma## so the thickness doesn't matter. I don't see how I could calculate anything otherwise since I don't know how big the total sample is.

In that case the number of ##^{50}##Ti hitting the target in one second is
    ##N_{Ti} = \frac{6.6 \mu A}{15e} = \frac{6.6 \cdot 10^{-6}}{15 \cdot 1.6 \cdot 10^{-19}} = 2.75\cdot 10^{12}.##

And the number of ##^{257}##Rf created in one second is
    ##N_{Rf} = \frac{3260}{0.03\cdot 176\cdot 3600} = 0.17##
    this is then also the reaction rate.

Then ##\sigma_{tot} = \frac{R}{I} = \frac{N_{Rf}}{N_{Ti}} = 6.24\cdot 10^{-14}##.

Now I have no idea if what I did was correct or what I should be doing. There's also a question about units, my cross sections seems to be unit less but shouldn't the unit of a cross section be barn i.e. an area unit? Or in the case of the macroscopic cross section ##m^{-1}##.

Perhaps what I should calculate is the macroscopic cross section but again I don't see how since I don't know the size of the sample.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2016 #2

1) The reaction cross section is not the total but per atom. A cross section is an area and is given in units such as ##cm^2## or barns (##1b=10^{-24}\mathrm{cm}^2##)
    2) You are given that you have ##0.5\mathrm{mg}/\mathrm{cm}^2## for the target. Consider now an area of ##1\mathrm{cm}^2##. How many target lead atoms do you have? This will be your ##N_0##.

I hope this helps.

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
    Okey so in the area ##A=1cm^{2}## we have
    ##N_0/A = \frac{0.5mg}{208u} = 1.45\cdot 10^{18}cm^{-2}##.

Now surely ##N_{Rf}## must be the reaction rate and ##I=N_{Ti}## (everything in one second)
    ##\sigma = \frac{R}{N_0 I} = \frac{N_{Rf}}{N_0/A N_{Ti}}=4.26\cdot 10^{-32}cm^{2} = 42.6 nb##

But what If I picked an area of ##5cm##? Wouldn't I get a different number then? I know that the width of the beam really shouldn't matter but I don't seem to have any term where the areas cancel?

5. Dec 14, 2016 #4
    No, it will not. Sorry, if I was a bit unclear in my last post. A useful tool in this respect is dimensional analysis. Let [##X##] be the unit of the quantity ##X##. Let's now apply this to the equation for the reaction rate:

$$[R]=[N_0] [\sigma] [I_{}]$$,
    and with ##[R]=[s^{-1}]##, ##[\sigma]=[\mathrm{cm}^2]## and ##[I_{}]=[s^{-1}]##, we get that ##N_0## must have the unit ##\mathrm{cm}^{-2}##. It is therefore convenient to consider a unit area of 1 cm##^{2}##.

6. Dec 14, 2016 #5
    Thanks, now I believe I understand the formula!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted