Nuclear reactions, cross section, reaction rate

In summary: It's the rate of reaction per area. And the area you choose is not important as long as you pick the same area for the beam intensity as for the target thickness. In summary, the reaction cross section can be calculated by dividing the reaction rate by the product of the number of target particles, the beam current, and a unit area. In this case, the unit area is chosen to be 1 cm^2 in order to simplify the calculation.
Incand

Homework Statement

A beam of ##^{50}##Ti nuclei impinged on a ##0.5 mg/cm^2## thick ##^{208}##Pb target in an experiment lasting 176 hours. During that time a total of ##3260 \; ^{257}##Rf nuclei were detected. The beam intensity was throughout the experiment constant at ##6.6\mu A##. Each ##^{50}##Ti beam ion carried a charge of ##q=+15##. The efficiency for detecting ##^{257}##Rf was ##3\%##. Calculate the reaction cross section.

Homework Equations

Reaction rate
##R=N_0\sigma I##
where ##N_0## is the number of target particles ##\sigma## the cross section and ##I## the current of incoming particles (I assume).

The Attempt at a Solution

As I understand it ##3\%## of the true number of ##^{257}##Rf were detected so we don't have to worry about any decay.

Secondly I assume the cross section I should calculate is actually the cross section of the entire target i.e. ##\sigma_{tot} = N_0 \sigma## so the thickness doesn't matter. I don't see how I could calculate anything otherwise since I don't know how big the total sample is.In that case the number of ##^{50}##Ti hitting the target in one second is
##N_{Ti} = \frac{6.6 \mu A}{15e} = \frac{6.6 \cdot 10^{-6}}{15 \cdot 1.6 \cdot 10^{-19}} = 2.75\cdot 10^{12}.##

And the number of ##^{257}##Rf created in one second is
##N_{Rf} = \frac{3260}{0.03\cdot 176\cdot 3600} = 0.17##
this is then also the reaction rate.

Then ##\sigma_{tot} = \frac{R}{I} = \frac{N_{Rf}}{N_{Ti}} = 6.24\cdot 10^{-14}##.

Now I have no idea if what I did was correct or what I should be doing. There's also a question about units, my cross sections seems to be unit less but shouldn't the unit of a cross section be barn i.e. an area unit? Or in the case of the macroscopic cross section ##m^{-1}##.

Perhaps what I should calculate is the macroscopic cross section but again I don't see how since I don't know the size of the sample.

Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:

Homework Statement

A beam of ##^{50}##Ti nuclei impinged on a ##0.5 mg/cm^2## thick ##^{208}##Pb target in an experiment lasting 176 hours. During that time a total of ##3260 \; ^{257}##Rf nuclei were detected. The beam intensity was throughout the experiment constant at ##6.6\mu A##. Each ##^{50}##Ti beam ion carried a charge of ##q=+15##. The efficiency for detecting ##^{257}##Rf was ##3\%##. Calculate the reaction cross section.

Homework Equations

Reaction rate
##R=N_0\sigma I##
where ##N_0## is the number of target particles ##\sigma## the cross section and ##I## the current of incoming particles (I assume).

The Attempt at a Solution

As I understand it ##3\%## of the true number of ##^{257}##Rf were detected so we don't have to worry about any decay.

Secondly I assume the cross section I should calculate is actually the cross section of the entire target i.e. ##\sigma_{tot} = N_0 \sigma## so the thickness doesn't matter. I don't see how I could calculate anything otherwise since I don't know how big the total sample is.In that case the number of ##^{50}##Ti hitting the target in one second is
##N_{Ti} = \frac{6.6 \mu A}{15e} = \frac{6.6 \cdot 10^{-6}}{15 \cdot 1.6 \cdot 10^{-19}} = 2.75\cdot 10^{12}.##

And the number of ##^{257}##Rf created in one second is
##N_{Rf} = \frac{3260}{0.03\cdot 176\cdot 3600} = 0.17##
this is then also the reaction rate.

Then ##\sigma_{tot} = \frac{R}{I} = \frac{N_{Rf}}{N_{Ti}} = 6.24\cdot 10^{-14}##.

Now I have no idea if what I did was correct or what I should be doing. There's also a question about units, my cross sections seems to be unit less but shouldn't the unit of a cross section be barn i.e. an area unit? Or in the case of the macroscopic cross section ##m^{-1}##.

Perhaps what I should calculate is the macroscopic cross section but again I don't see how since I don't know the size of the sample.
1) The reaction cross section is not the total but per atom. A cross section is an area and is given in units such as ##cm^2## or barns (##1b=10^{-24}\mathrm{cm}^2##)
2) You are given that you have ##0.5\mathrm{mg}/\mathrm{cm}^2## for the target. Consider now an area of ##1\mathrm{cm}^2##. How many target lead atoms do you have? This will be your ##N_0##.

I hope this helps.

Likes Incand
Okey so in the area ##A=1cm^{2}## we have
##N_0/A = \frac{0.5mg}{208u} = 1.45\cdot 10^{18}cm^{-2}##.

Now surely ##N_{Rf}## must be the reaction rate and ##I=N_{Ti}## (everything in one second)
##\sigma = \frac{R}{N_0 I} = \frac{N_{Rf}}{N_0/A N_{Ti}}=4.26\cdot 10^{-32}cm^{2} = 42.6 nb##

But what If I picked an area of ##5cm##? Wouldn't I get a different number then? I know that the width of the beam really shouldn't matter but I don't seem to have any term where the areas cancel?

Incand said:
Okey so in the area ##A=1cm^{2}## we have
##N_0/A = \frac{0.5mg}{208u} = 1.45\cdot 10^{18}cm^{-2}##.

Now surely ##N_{Rf}## must be the reaction rate and ##I=N_{Ti}## (everything in one second)
##\sigma = \frac{R}{N_0 I} = \frac{N_{Rf}}{N_0/A N_{Ti}}=4.26\cdot 10^{-32}cm^{2} = 42.6 nb##

But what If I picked an area of ##5cm##? Wouldn't I get a different number then? I know that the width of the beam really shouldn't matter but I don't seem to have any term where the areas cancel?

No, it will not. Sorry, if I was a bit unclear in my last post. A useful tool in this respect is dimensional analysis. Let [##X##] be the unit of the quantity ##X##. Let's now apply this to the equation for the reaction rate:

$$[R]=[N_0] [\sigma] [I_{}]$$,
and with ##[R]=[s^{-1}]##, ##[\sigma]=[\mathrm{cm}^2]## and ##[I_{}]=[s^{-1}]##, we get that ##N_0## must have the unit ##\mathrm{cm}^{-2}##. It is therefore convenient to consider a unit area of 1 cm##^{2}##.

Likes Incand
Thanks, now I believe I understand the formula!

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is altered, resulting in a change in the identity of the atom. This can occur through the absorption or emission of particles or energy.

2. What is cross section in relation to nuclear reactions?

In nuclear reactions, cross section is a measure of the likelihood of a particular type of reaction occurring. It is usually represented by the symbol σ and is measured in units of area.

3. How is reaction rate related to nuclear reactions?

Reaction rate is a measure of how quickly a nuclear reaction takes place. It is dependent on factors such as the cross section, energy of the particles involved, and the density of the target material.

4. What factors can affect the cross section of a nuclear reaction?

The cross section of a nuclear reaction can be influenced by several factors, including the energy of the particles involved, the type of particles, the density of the target material, and the presence of any intervening barriers or obstacles.

5. How can nuclear reactions be controlled for practical use?

Nuclear reactions can be controlled through various methods, including by controlling the amount of energy released, the rate of reaction, and the type of particles involved. This can be achieved through techniques such as nuclear fission and fusion reactions, which are used in nuclear power plants and weapons, respectively.