1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystal Optics -- Learning resources wanted...

1. Dec 15, 2016 #1
    What are some good resources : books, websites, etc to understand crystal optics? I am a graduate student and I want to start with the basics.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

One book that I think every graduate Physics Student needs to read is J.F. Nye's "Physical Properties of Crystals -their representation by tensors and matrices" . I think it has a section on crystal optics as well. It is one of the better textbooks that is very thorough and very insightful, and at the same time still relatively easy to read.

4. Dec 15, 2016 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

At the graduate level, a standard introduction is the relevant chapter in Born and Wolf. Beyond that (photonic bandgap materials, for example), OSAs Handbook of Optics has a lot of good material in volume 4.

5. Dec 15, 2016 #4
    From the contents it looks fine! Thanks

6. Dec 15, 2016 #5
    It does have a chapter on crystals optics! Will search it in the library. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted