I am a graduate student in quantum optics. Should I learn QFT?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in QFT and their plans to study quantum optics and quantum information in graduate school. They express concern about the lack of QFT courses and their desire to learn it as a theoretical physicist, while also considering the difficulty and prerequisites for studying QFT. The speaker is provided with a resource for QFT course notes.
Haorong Wu
I am particularly interesting in QFT, and I am going to be a graduate student in quantum optics and quantum information this autumn.

Strangely, I find that there is no courses for QFT. After all, I though QFT are about quantum and field, and quantum optics are about quantum and field, too.

Anyway, I am eager to learn some QFT, but I am not sure how hard would it be. What are the prerequisite courses? QM is necessary, of course. Should I learn some general relativity? What about group theory?

I hope to be a theoretical physicist. I think it would be best that I learn some QFT. But if it would take too much time to study QFT, I may have to delay it to later time.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum optics and QIP is in general is quite distinct from QFT.
It is quite unlikely that you will need a full course in QFT as a graduate student, but that does not mean that you shouldn't shouldn't study it anyway.

Last edited:
Haorong Wu said:
Anyway, I am eager to learn some QFT, but I am not sure how hard would it be. What are the prerequisite courses? QM is necessary, of course. Should I learn some general relativity? What about group theory?

There are some course notes here, if you want to take a look:

https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdf

1. What is quantum optics?

Quantum optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of light and matter at the quantum level. It combines principles from both quantum mechanics and classical optics to understand and manipulate the properties of light and its interactions with matter.

2. Why should a graduate student in quantum optics learn QFT?

Quantum field theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that describes the behavior of particles and fields at the quantum level. It is a fundamental theory that is used in many areas of physics, including quantum optics. Learning QFT can provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and mathematical tools used in quantum optics research.

3. Is QFT necessary for a career in quantum optics?

While it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of QFT to have a successful career in quantum optics, it can greatly enhance one's knowledge and research capabilities. Many advanced topics in quantum optics, such as quantum information and quantum computing, rely heavily on the principles of QFT.

4. How difficult is it to learn QFT?

QFT is a complex and abstract subject that requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It can be challenging to learn, but with dedication and practice, it is possible to gain a good understanding of the basics. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of quantum mechanics and classical mechanics before attempting to learn QFT.

5. Are there any resources available for learning QFT?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning QFT, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. It is important to find a resource that best suits your learning style and level of understanding. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or professor who has expertise in QFT.