I am a graduate student in quantum optics. Should I learn QFT?

• Courses
  • Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
I am particularly interesting in QFT, and I am going to be a graduate student in quantum optics and quantum information this autumn.

Strangely, I find that there is no courses for QFT. After all, I though QFT are about quantum and field, and quantum optics are about quantum and field, too.

Anyway, I am eager to learn some QFT, but I am not sure how hard would it be. What are the prerequisite courses? QM is necessary, of course. Should I learn some general relativity? What about group theory?

I hope to be a theoretical physicist. I think it would be best that I learn some QFT. But if it would take too much time to study QFT, I may have to delay it to later time.

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Quantum optics and QIP is in general is quite distinct from QFT.
It is quite unlikely that you will need a full course in QFT as a graduate student, but that does not mean that you shouldn't shouldn't study it anyway.

Last edited:
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Anyway, I am eager to learn some QFT, but I am not sure how hard would it be. What are the prerequisite courses? QM is necessary, of course. Should I learn some general relativity? What about group theory?
There are some course notes here, if you want to take a look:

https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdf