1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystal Vibrations: Impurity in a monoatomic chain

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello everyone, i'm a bit stuck on this particular problem and i was hoping somebody could give me a couple tips or hints!

"consider a linear monoatomic chain where all atoms have a mass M except one which has a small mass m. The force constant is C."
    First i'm asked to write the equation of motion for the relevant atoms. Then, i'm asked to solve it assuming a displacment function for atom n in the form of

Un = Aexp(-ax)exp(i((omega)t - Kx))

Let the chain be:

vs-2 -- vs-1 --- u --- vs --- vs+1

where u is the impurity

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm currently lost at the beginning of the problem, finding the equation of motion. What i first thought was to treat this almost like it were the case of a diatomic chain.

Mdvs/dt = C(vs+1 + u - 2vs)

mdu/dt = C(vs-1 + vs - 2u)

however, upon continuing in the problem i'm not sure that this is correct. Could anyone offer any advice as to how i should start this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your notation is a little distracting. Simply call the displacement of the n'th atom (from its equilibrium position) [itex]u_n[/itex]. Let the impurity be at n=k.

Secondly. you've made a mistake in constructing your equation of motion, which is a second order linear DE (not first order).

See that you should get something more like :

[tex]m_n \ddot{u_n} = c(u_{n+1} -2u_n+u_{n-1}) [/tex]

From here, I'm not sure what's the best approach. One possibility is to fourier transform to k-space and hope the equations become decoupled. Odds are they will. Also, you will likely find that the solution in k-space is the FT of the localized wavepacket provided to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?