Gravitational redshift inside a crystal - Pound-Rebeka experiment

In summary, the atom emits a photon which carries away some of the energy from the transition from the excited to the ground state.
71GA

Homework Statement

Some atoms emit X-rays at transition from excited to ground state. Energy of an excited state of the atom ##\scriptsize^{57}_{26}\textrm{Fe}## is ##\scriptsize14.4keV## larger than than the energy of it's ground state. The mass of the atom is ##\scriptsize9.5\times10^{-26}kg##. How much energy that is released during the transition from the excited to the ground state is carried away by the core? What is the ##\scriptsize\Delta \lambda## of the emitted photons? Some crystals are bound so hard that the momentum during transition is carried away by the whole crystal. How many energy is carried away by the crystal of mass ##\scriptsize 1g##? During the experiment which confirmed the existence of the gravitational redshift they used same crystal as a source of monochromatic light while they set same crystal ##\scriptsize 20m## away to absorb the emitted photons. What would be the ##\scriptsize\lambda## of emitted photons from the first crystal and how much would it change because of the change of gravitational energy? Was the width of the emission line wide enough in order to measure the gravitational
redshift?

Homework Equations

I have been solving a problem set for the "photon in the gravitational field" and came across this problem. It looks very hard to solve and so far the only equation I needed to solve these types of problems was:

\begin{align}
\lambda_2 = \lambda_1 \left(1-\frac{GM}{c^2r}\right)
\end{align}

The Attempt at a Solution

I presume that when an atom goes from excited to ground state it would emmitt light of ##\lambda##:

\begin{align}
\Delta W = h\nu = \frac{hc}{\lambda} \longrightarrow \lambda = \frac{h c}{\Delta W} = \frac{6.626\times10^{-34}Js \cdot 2.99\times10^8 \tfrac{m}{s}}{14.4\times10^{3} \cdot 1.602\times10^{-19}J} = 85.9pm
\end{align}

But in our case ##\lambda## will be a bit longer because i know that some of the energy ##\scriptsize\Delta W## will be caried away by the core - through gravitational potential energy i presume (can i use a whole mass of the atom here?). I could calculate the right ##\lambda## if i only knew how much does a radius ##r## change. How do i get radius?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the emission process itself, gravity is not relevant. The photon has a momentum, so the atom (or the whole crystal in the second case) has to carry the opposite momentum. Use energy/momentum conservation to find the energy of the photon.

Which radius??

mfb said:
For the emission process itself, gravity is not relevant.
Is that because the mass of the atom is too small?

mfb said:
The photon has a momentum, so the atom (or the whole crystal in the second case) has to carry the opposite momentum. Use energy/momentum conservation to find the energy of the photon.
Thank you. I will try this and report back.

mfb said:
Which radius??
I was thinking of a planetary model of an atom where the atom is circling around the core. I thought if i could calculate the change of the radius because of the energy change i could calculate the gravitational redshift. But as you said gravitational redshift can be neglected in the atom.

71GA said:
Is that because the mass of the atom is too small?
No, you just don't have any relevant height differences within an atom.

I was thinking of a planetary model of an atom where the atom is circling around the core. I thought if i could calculate the change of the radius because of the energy change i could calculate the gravitational redshift.
Eh... no.

mfb said:
The photon has a momentum, so the atom (or the whole crystal in the second case) has to carry the opposite momentum. Use energy/momentum conservation to find the energy of the photon.

Ok so at start i have only the rest energy of the ##\scriptsize ^{57}_{26}Fe## atom while after colission i am not sure what i have. In other words i do not know how to write down that the rest energy is lower. Can i do it like this?

\begin{align}
E_{before} &= E_{after}\\
E_{0~Fe} &= \sqrt{\smash{\underbrace{(E_{0~Fe} - E_\gamma)^2}_{\substack{\text{I think of this}\\\text{as the rest energy}\\\text{lowered because of}\\\text{the emission of a photon}}}} + p^2c^2}\longleftarrow\substack{\text{is momentum here equal to $p \, =\, (E_{0~Fe}-E_\gamma)\,/\,c$ ?}}
\end{align}

Last edited:
After the decay, you have the rest energy of the iron, the photon energy and the kinetic energy of the iron atom.

The rest energy of the iron, compared to its initial energy, went down by 14.4 keV. Those 14.4 keV got converted to the photon energy and the kinetic energy of the iron atom.

mfb said:
After the decay, you have the rest energy of the iron, the photon energy and the kinetic energy of the iron atom.

The rest energy of the iron, compared to its initial energy, went down by 14.4 keV. Those 14.4 keV got converted to the photon energy and the kinetic energy of the iron atom.

So i presume my equation is correct if i set ##p = \frac{E_{\gamma}}{c} = \frac{14.4keV}{c} ## ?

Okay so the emitted energy got converted into an energy of a photon and kinetic energy - this means energy of the photon ##E_\gamma < 14.4keV##. I tried to calculate it like this and got nonsense:

\begin{align}
E_{1} &= E_{2}\\
\sqrt{ {E_{0~Fe}}^2 + {p_1}^2c^2 } &=\sqrt{ \left(E_{0~Fe} - E_\gamma\right)^2 + {p_2}^2 c^2 } \longleftarrow \substack{\scriptsize \boxed{p_1 = 0}~\boxed{p_2 = E_\gamma /c}}\\
\sqrt{ {E_{0~Fe}}^2 + 0 } &= \sqrt{ \left(E_{0~Fe} - E_\gamma\right)^2 + \frac{{E_\gamma}^2}{c^2} c^2 } \\
E_{0~Fe} &= \sqrt{ \left(E_{0~Fe} - E_\gamma \right)^2 + {W_\gamma}^2 }\\
{E_{0~Fe}}^2 &= {E_{0~Fe}}^2 - 2E_{0~Fe}E_\gamma +{E_\gamma}^2 + {E_\gamma}^2 \\
{E_\gamma}^2 + (-E_{0~Fe})E_\gamma + 0 &= 0\\
&\Downarrow\\
E_\gamma &= 0\\
E_\gamma &= E_{0~Fe}
\end{align}

None of the solutions to the quadratic equation make sense. 1st solution is trivial and 2nd is way too big.

Last edited:
Your photon is missing in this equation.
You don't have to use relativistic equations here - the iron atom will be slow. In addition, you don't have to consider the initial situation.

As function of the velocity and the mass, what are energy and momentum of the iron atom (after the emission)?
What is the relation between energy and momentum for the photon?

The sum of the two momenta has to be zero, and the sum of the energies has to be 14.4 keV. Solve for the photon energy, and you are done.

71GA said:
\begin{align}
E_{1} &= E_{2}\\
\sqrt{ {E_{0~Fe}}^2 + {p_1}^2c^2 } &=\sqrt{ \left(E_{0~Fe} - E_\gamma\right)^2 + {p_2}^2 c^2 } \longleftarrow \substack{\scriptsize \boxed{p_1 = 0}~\boxed{p_2 = E_\gamma /c}}\\
\end{align}
Please define your variables. E.g. what is p1? Why can't I see any reference to the momentum and velocity of the atom after emission?

mfb said:
Your photon is missing in this equation.
You don't have to use relativistic equations here - the iron atom will be slow. In addition, you don't have to consider the initial situation.

As function of the velocity and the mass, what are energy and momentum of the iron atom (after the emission)?
What is the relation between energy and momentum for the photon?

The sum of the two momenta has to be zero, and the sum of the energies has to be 14.4 keV. Solve for the photon energy, and you are done.

I did it relativisticaly like this:

\begin{align}
E_1&=E_2\\
E_{1~atom}&=E_{2~atom} + E_\gamma\\
E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E &= \sqrt{{E_{0~Fe}}^2 + {p_2}^2c^2} + E_\gamma\\
E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E &= \sqrt{{E_{0~Fe}}^2 + \frac{{E_\gamma}^2}{c^2}c^2} + E_\gamma\\
E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E - E_\gamma &= \sqrt{{E_{0~Fe}}^2 + {E_\gamma}^2}\\
\substack{\text{square of}\\\text{a trinomial}}\longrightarrow(E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E - E_\gamma)^2 &= {E_{0~Fe}}^2 + {E_\gamma}^2\\
\big((E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E) - E_\gamma\big)^2 &= {E_{0~Fe}}^2 + {E_\gamma}^2\\
(E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E)^2 - 2(E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E)E_\gamma + {E_\gamma}^2 &= {E_{0~Fe}}^2 + {E_\gamma}^2\\
(E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E)^2 - 2(E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E)E_\gamma &= {E_{0~Fe}}^2\\
E_\gamma &= \frac{(E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E)^2 - {E_{0~Fe}}^2}{2(E_{0~Fe} + \Delta E)}\\
E_\gamma &= \frac{\left(53\times10^9eV + 14.4\times10^3eV\right)^2 - \left(53\times10^9eV\right)^2}{2\left(53\times10^9eV + 14.4\times10^3eV\right)}\\
E_\gamma &= 14.399 keV
\end{align}

The result is ok now thanks to your comments, but it surprised me the atom takes away so little energy!

The atom is heavy, so it can get a lot of momentum with a tiny amount of energy.

1. What is the Pound-Rebka experiment and how does it relate to gravitational redshift inside a crystal?

The Pound-Rebka experiment was a landmark experiment conducted in 1959 by Robert Pound and Glen Rebka to test the prediction of the general theory of relativity regarding gravitational redshift. The experiment involved measuring the change in frequency of gamma rays emitted by a source at the top and bottom of a tower, with the bottom source being subject to a stronger gravitational field. This change in frequency confirmed the prediction of gravitational redshift, and also demonstrated its existence inside a crystal, as the experiment was conducted using a crystal diffraction spectrometer.

2. What is gravitational redshift and how does it occur inside a crystal?

Gravitational redshift is a phenomenon where light or other electromagnetic radiation shifts to longer wavelengths (lower frequencies) when it is emitted from a source in a strong gravitational field. Inside a crystal, this occurs due to the change in gravitational potential as the light passes through the crystal lattice. This change in potential results in a change in the frequency of the light, causing a redshift.

3. How does the Pound-Rebka experiment support the theory of general relativity?

The Pound-Rebka experiment provided strong evidence for the general theory of relativity by confirming its prediction of gravitational redshift. This experiment showed that the change in frequency of light due to gravitational potential is consistent with the predictions of the theory, providing further support for its validity.

4. Can the Pound-Rebka experiment be replicated and have there been any subsequent experiments on gravitational redshift inside a crystal?

The Pound-Rebka experiment has been replicated numerous times, with similar results each time. In addition, there have been subsequent experiments that have further confirmed the existence of gravitational redshift inside a crystal, such as the Mössbauer effect experiment. These experiments have also helped to refine our understanding of this phenomenon.

5. What are the potential applications of studying gravitational redshift inside a crystal?

Studying gravitational redshift inside a crystal has both theoretical and practical applications. It can help us better understand the general theory of relativity and its predictions, as well as provide insights into the nature of gravity. On a practical level, it could potentially be used in precision measurements and technologies, such as in atomic clocks and global positioning systems (GPS).