Crystallization Report - What is a Good Yield?

In summary, the conversation is about discussing the results of a lab report on crystallization of Benzoic Acid. The question is whether a good percentage yield can be determined for the experiment, or if the discussion of success should be based on individual techniques and patience. It is noted that without knowledge of the composition of the crude material, it is difficult to determine a good yield. It is suggested that the discussion of success should be based on personal ideas and thoughts.
thE3nigma

Homework Statement

I did my lab work a week ago and in the lab report I am to discuss my results, and how successful. If not successful, then why not. Our Organic Chem. lab was on crystallization and we had to obtain pure Benzoic Acid crystals from 2 grams of a crude material.

My question is for such an experiment, what is usually considered a good percentage yield? Or should I discuss my success based on my own techniques and patience with the experiment?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have no idea about the composition of the crude material, you can't say anything about what is a good yield.

I see, that is what I was thinking. It is just that they asked for us to discuss the success of our experiments, but that is a general format for all labs in this course. I would assume I could just discuss based on my own ideas and thoughts.

Thanks by the way.

1. What is crystallization and why is it important in scientific research?

Crystallization is the process of forming a solid crystal from a solution or melt. It is important in scientific research because it allows for the purification and isolation of a specific compound, as well as the determination of its physical and chemical properties.

2. What is a good yield in crystallization and why is it important?

A good yield in crystallization refers to the amount of pure crystal obtained compared to the amount of starting material used. It is important because it indicates the efficiency of the crystallization process and the purity of the final product.

3. How is yield calculated in a crystallization experiment?

Yield is calculated by dividing the mass of the final product by the mass of the starting material, then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. For example, if 5 grams of pure crystal is obtained from 10 grams of starting material, the yield would be 50%.

4. What factors can affect the yield in a crystallization experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the yield in a crystallization experiment, including the solubility of the compound, temperature, cooling rate, and impurities present in the starting material. The choice of solvent and the method of crystallization can also impact the yield.

5. How can a scientist improve the yield in a crystallization experiment?

A scientist can improve the yield in a crystallization experiment by carefully selecting the solvent and method of crystallization, controlling the temperature and cooling rate, and using multiple recrystallization steps. Removing impurities from the starting material and optimizing the experimental conditions can also increase the yield.