1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curious about Linear Density (μ) of a string

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    (Sorry I cannot follow the question format because this question is related to a problem, but is not the problem itself.)

I am talking about the linear density μ that appears in this equation:
    v = sqrt(T/μ)

.. used usually for musical instruments, where μ = m/L

Now, I am wondering which value of L we use.

Say that you have a string that is normally .1 kg and .10 meters long.
    Now lets say that u stretch the string to .12 meters to make some musical instrument.

For L value, do we plug in .12 meters or .10 meters?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Usually in the musical instruments that mush stretching is not allowed. mu is the linear density of the wire. For a given length of wire ( which is usual in all the string instruments) linear density depends on the diameter and the material of the wire.

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    But I specifically came across a question that required me to make a choice between using an unstretched length vs. a stretched length and I wasn't sure what to do.

Let's hypothetically assume that someone stretched a .1 m wire to .12 m to create some musical instrument.
    Which value of L would u use?

5. Dec 5, 2008 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Obviously 0.12 m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?