1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current after (1) time constant in RC circuits

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Kxr0R.jpg

Maximum current:
    I max = 4.62 * 10^-4 A

Time constant of circuit:
    T = 3.9 seconds

2. Relevant equations

T= RC

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to find the current after 1 time constant. Seems simple enough, the current changes by 63%. So (Imax)-(Imax * 0.63) or basically I max * 0.37

But the teacher just took I max * 0.63 !!! I thought it CHANGES by 63% not simply 63% of the original value!!

I looked it up and all websites agree that the current after 1 time constant will be 0.37 of it's maximum value, hence a change of 63%!
    http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc_1.html

Has the teacher made a mistake? I have deeply confused myself over a simple thought. Please help.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The form of the equation is
    [tex] I(t) = I_o e^{-t/\tau}[/tex]
    You're interested in the value of I(t) for various times that are multiples of [itex]\tau[/itex]. Easy-peasy. Just divide Io by e1, e2, etc.. As you suspect, after the first time constant period the value drops to 36.8% of its initial value (1/e).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook