RC Multiloop Circuits, Find Current at Specific Time

In summary, the best strategy for charging a capacitor using a RC circuit is to open the switch and allow the current through R3 to increase exponentially.
D Nguyen

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-20_12-8-13.png

Homework Equations

For a basic RC circuit during charging:

q = CV(1-e-t/RC)
i = V/R (e-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve basic RC circuits but this is just out of my realm of understanding. I can also find the max charge of the capacitor. I'm not looking for a full solution yet, I'm just hoping for someone to tell me if the best strategy is to:

1. Set up a lot of equation with Kirchoff's rules and solve a differential equation,
2. Use the fact that the current through R3 will increase from some minimum to to maximum exponentially (though I wouldn't know what the time constant would be), or
3. Use another strategy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi D Nguyen,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Big Hint: Ask yourself if closing the switch will affect anything to the right of E2.

gneill said:
Hi D Nguyen,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Big Hint: Ask yourself if closing the switch will affect anything to the right of E2.

Hello! Thanks for the welcome!

I think it will? E1 will push more current to the right of E2?

I tried another approach using Thevenin equivalent circuits. I got E(Thevenin) = 3.33 V and R(Thevenin) = 13.33 ohms. Then I would just use an RC circuit with those values of E and R?

D Nguyen said:
Hello! Thanks for the welcome!

I think it will? E1 will push more current to the right of E2?
What pushes current? What potential difference drives current in the right side of the circuit? Can the potential across E2 change when the switch is closed?
I tried another approach using Thevenin equivalent circuits. I got E(Thevenin) = 3.33 V and R(Thevenin) = 13.33 ohms. Then I would just use an RC circuit with those values of E and R?
A Thevenin approach is good when you need to find the equivalent resistance for an RC circuit. In this case you need to be a bit careful that you aren't looking at the t = -∞ case rather than the t = 0+ case.

Try this. Break the circuit here:
upload_2017-3-20_16-47-52.png

and find the Thevenin equivalent of the sources for both cases: switch open and switch closed.

gneill said:
What pushes current? What potential difference drives current in the right side of the circuit? Can the potential across E2 change when the switch is closed?

OK, I think it's starting to make sense. The potential across E2 can't change when the switch it closed, so open or closed, I can ignore E1 and R1? Then I use Thevenin?

A Thevenin approach is good when you need to find the equivalent resistance for an RC circuit. In this case you need to be a bit careful that you aren't looking at the t = -∞ case rather than the t = 0+ case.

Try this. Break the circuit here:
View attachment 114817

and find the Thevenin equivalent of the sources for both cases: switch open and switch closed.

Can I use a Thevenin approach for a question like this? I'm trying to use information from this website: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-16/complex-circuits/

upload_2017-3-20_13-57-9.png

Thanks for all of your help and patience!

D Nguyen said:
Can I use a Thevenin approach for a question like this? I'm trying to use information from this website: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-16/complex-circuits/

View attachment 114818

Thanks for all of your help and patience!
Yes. Thevenin would be a great approach for that problem.

gneill said:

OK, I think it's starting to make sense. The potential across E2 can't change when the switch it closed, so open or closed, I can ignore E1 and R1? Then I use Thevenin?

D Nguyen said:
You could, but will anything change over time? One assumes that the circuit has already reached steady state before t = 0.

gneill said:
You could, but will anything change over time? One assumes that the circuit has already reached steady state before t = 0.

I don't think the circuit starts at steady state because the capacitor is initially uncharged.

D Nguyen said:
I don't think the circuit starts at steady state because the capacitor is initially uncharged.
Okay, I hadn't considered that detail. I had assumed that the circuit was assembled for some time before t=0 when the switch was closed. But if you wish to treat E2 as "turning on" at t = 0, then by all means use Thevenin to reduce the supply to a single source and resistor.

1. What are RC multiloop circuits?

RC multiloop circuits are electric circuits that contain resistors (R) and capacitors (C) arranged in a series or parallel configuration. These circuits are commonly used in electronics to control the flow of electrical current.

2. How do I find the current at a specific time in an RC multiloop circuit?

To find the current at a specific time in an RC multiloop circuit, you can use the formula I(t) = I0 * e^(-t/RC), where I0 is the initial current, t is the specific time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance. This formula is based on the time constant (τ) of the circuit, which is equal to RC.

3. What is the significance of the time constant in an RC multiloop circuit?

The time constant (τ) in an RC multiloop circuit represents the amount of time it takes for the current to reach 63.2% of its final value. It is also used to determine the rate at which the current changes over time.

4. Can I use the same formula to find the current at any time in an RC multiloop circuit?

Yes, the formula I(t) = I0 * e^(-t/RC) can be used to find the current at any time in an RC multiloop circuit. However, if the circuit contains multiple loops, the calculation may become more complex and require a different approach.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding current in an RC multiloop circuit?

One limitation of using the formula I(t) = I0 * e^(-t/RC) is that it assumes the circuit is in steady state. This means that the current has reached its final value and is not changing over time. In reality, most circuits are not in steady state and the current may change over time due to factors such as temperature and component aging.