Current and Power in DC Circuits

In summary, the conversation is about two problems involving current in a DC circuit with multiple resistors. The first problem involves finding the current through a 4 ohm resistor using Kirchoff's rules. The second problem involves finding the power given off by one of the 10 ohm resistors, and the speaker is struggling with finding the current in order to use the formula for power. They are seeking help for these problems in preparation for a test.
Flaneuse
I have two problems that have been bothering me, which I just cannot seem to figure out. Both have to do with current in a DC circuit with multiple resistors.

The first one looks like this:
12 V 4 ohms
|------:|:|-----\/\/\-----|
| |
| 18 V 12 ohms |
a|------:|:|----\/\/\------|b
| 8 ohms |
|-----------\/\/\---------|

I am trying to find the current through the 4 ohm resistor, but I am not quite sure how to go about doing so. I tried subtracting the voltages since they are in parallel and finding the equivalent resistance and then using Ohm's Law, but that was unsuccessful. I have a feeling it might intend for me to use Kirchoff's rules, so I then tried doing so from junction a to junction b. I got Vab=16-4I1=18-12I2=8(I1-I2 (I1 is from b to a around the top, where the 16 V and 4 ohm resistor is, I2 is from b to a directly across the middle, and I3 is from b to a along the bottom, where the 8 ohm resistor is), but just didn't know where to go from there. Would the current be I1, or something else?

The second problem is quite similar. In this one, I am trying to find the power given off my one of the 10 ohm resistors; I think my problem here is again the current, as power=I^2 * R.
It looks like this:
12 V
|-----:|:|-------------|
| |
| |
| 2 ohms |--\/\----| <----20 ohms
|---\/\------|---\/\---| <----10 ohms
|---\/\---| <----10 ohms
So basically I am trying to find the current through one of the 10 ohm resistors so I can use it to find power, which is I^2 * R.

I would really appreciate some help on this, as I am studying for a test, and these two problems have been troubling me for much too long.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Somehow those diagrams turned out horribly. I've attached some better ones; "Untitled" is corresponds to the first problem and "Untitled 2" corresponds to the second.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 404
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 400

1. What is the difference between current and power in a DC circuit?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge in a circuit, while power is the rate at which energy is being transferred or consumed by the circuit. In other words, current is the movement of electrons, while power is the capacity to do work.

2. How is current measured in a DC circuit?

Current is measured in amperes (A) using an ammeter. The ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, allowing it to measure the amount of current passing through a specific point in the circuit.

3. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a DC circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the relationship between voltage (V), current (I), and resistance (R) in a DC circuit is given by the equation V = IR. This means that the voltage is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the resistance.

4. How does a change in resistance affect the current and power in a DC circuit?

A change in resistance will affect both the current and power in a DC circuit. An increase in resistance will decrease the current, as stated by Ohm's Law. This decrease in current will also result in a decrease in power, as power is directly proportional to current.

5. How does an increase in voltage affect the current and power in a DC circuit?

An increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, as stated by Ohm's Law. This increase in current will also result in an increase in power, as power is directly proportional to current. However, it is important to note that an increase in voltage can also cause damage to the circuit if the voltage exceeds the circuit's capacity.