Current in a resistor and potential difference

You can use Kirchhoff's law to find the current in each resistor. In summary, using Kirchhoff's law and the source conversion method, the current in each resistor can be determined and the potential difference across the 200 ohms resistor is -239V.
tag16

Homework Statement

In the circuit of figure p28.23, determine the current in each resistor and the potential difference across the 200 ohms resistor.

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab41/tag16/?action=view&current=circuit.jpg&newest=1

Homework Equations

1/Req= 1/R1+1/R2+1/R3+1/R4
I=deltaV/R
deltaV= IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Req=1/(1/200ohms +1/80ohms+ 1/20ohms+ 1/70ohms)= 12.22 ohms

I=-240V/12.22ohms= -19.6 A
deltaV= (-19.6A)(12.22)= -239 V
Am I doing this completely wrong? If so what do I need to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this problem, you must know network theorems. Some of them are Kirchhoff law, source conversion method, etc.

I appreciate your attempt to solve this circuit problem using the equations for equivalent resistance and Ohm's law. However, your calculations seem to be incorrect.

Firstly, the equivalent resistance formula you used is for resistors in parallel, but the resistors in this circuit are in series. The correct formula for equivalent resistance in series is simply the sum of the individual resistors, so the equivalent resistance in this case is 200 ohms + 80 ohms + 20 ohms + 70 ohms = 370 ohms.

Next, to calculate the current through each resistor, you can use Ohm's law (I = V/R). The potential difference (V) across the 200 ohms resistor is given as -240V, and the equivalent resistance is 370 ohms. Therefore, the current through the 200 ohms resistor is -240V / 370 ohms = -0.65A.

Similarly, you can calculate the current through the other resistors by using the same formula with the appropriate potential difference and resistance values.

I hope this helps clarify the correct approach to solving this circuit problem. Keep up the good work!

What is current in a resistor?

Current in a resistor refers to the flow of electric charge through the resistor. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is denoted by the symbol "I".

How is current related to potential difference?

Current and potential difference are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the potential difference (voltage) increases, the current will also increase. This relationship is described by Ohm's law: I = V/R, where V is the potential difference and R is the resistance of the resistor.

What is the role of resistance in current flow?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or device impedes the flow of electric charge. In a resistor, higher resistance means that there is more opposition to the flow of current, resulting in a lower current value. This relationship is also described by Ohm's law, as shown in the previous answer.

What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) refer to the direction of the flow of electric charge. In AC, the direction of current changes periodically, while in DC, the direction remains constant. Most household outlets provide AC current, while batteries provide DC current.

How is the potential difference across a resistor calculated?

The potential difference across a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law: V = IR, where V is the potential difference, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the resistor. Alternatively, it can also be measured using a voltmeter connected in parallel to the resistor.