Finding the Current in a Resistor in a Closed Circuit

In summary: And since R3 is in parallel with R2, it has the same voltage as R2. So the current through R3 is also the current through R2.
MedEx
pict_27_16.gif
1. Homework Statement

The ideal battery in Figure (a) has emf
img1336925519406_1870594626818166.gif
= 7.7 V. Plot 1 in Figure (b) gives the electric potential difference V that can appear across resistor 1 of the circuit versus the current i in that resistor. The scale of the V axis is set by Vs = 18.9 V, and the scale of the i axis is set by is = 3.17 mA. Plots 2 and 3 are similar plots for resistors 2 and 3, respectively. What is the current in resistor 2?

Homework Equations

Req for resistors in parallel is 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 +1/R3...
Req for resistors in series is Req = R1 + R2 + R3...
V=iR
Resistors in parallel have same V, resistors in series have same i

The Attempt at a Solution

I found R1 to be 5962.15 through Vs/is
I found R2 as 2/3 Vs/is or 3974.76
R3 as 1/3 Vs/is or 1987.38
Req = R3 + 1/(1/R2+1/R1) or 4372.24 ohms
Then using V=iR (7.7V=4372.24i) I found to be .001761A

If every resistor had the same current/voltage I feel like I could do it but I'm not sure how to put things in terms of each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you provide figures (a) and (b)?

MedEx said:
Sorry about that. The figures show up on my screen but never on anyone else's i guess
Use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Edit window to attach figures to your posts... :smile:

MedEx said:
I found R1 to be 5962.15 through Vs/is
I found R2 as 2/3 Vs/is or 3974.76
R3 as 1/3 Vs/is or 1987.38

OK, I agree with your reasoning. So now you know the value of each resistor. And your calculation of the overall current appears to be correct as well.

Two ways to proceed here.
Method 1:
MedEx said:
Resistors in parallel have same V,
Because of that, I = V/R in the branches of the parallel portion, is inversely proportional to R. You know the ratio of R1 and R2, so that tells you the ratio of the currents through them. And you know those two currents have to add up to the total current flowing through the circuit. That's enough to solve for the current through each one.

Method 2:
This one might be easier to understand. The voltage drop across R3 is V = I*R3. Knowing that tells you what the voltage across R2 is (which is also the voltage across R1 of course).

Likes MedEx

1. How do you calculate the current in a resistor in a closed circuit?

The current in a resistor in a closed circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). In mathematical terms, this can be expressed as I = V/R.

2. What factors affect the current in a resistor in a closed circuit?

The current in a resistor in a closed circuit is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the resistor, and the overall circuit design. Other factors such as temperature and the properties of the material used in the resistor can also impact the current.

3. How does the length of a resistor affect the current in a closed circuit?

The length of a resistor does not directly affect the current in a closed circuit. However, the longer the resistor, the higher its resistance will be, which can impact the overall current in the circuit.

4. Can the current in a resistor in a closed circuit ever be negative?

No, the current in a resistor in a closed circuit cannot be negative. This is because the direction of current flow is always from the positive terminal of the power source to the negative terminal. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, it is considered a negative current, but in reality, it is still flowing in the same direction as the positive current.

5. How can you measure the current in a resistor in a closed circuit?

The current in a resistor in a closed circuit can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device specifically designed for this purpose. The ammeter is connected in series with the resistor, and the current can be read directly from the device's display.