Current in a solution of NaCl ions.

In summary, the problem involves passing current through a solution of sodium chloride. In 1.00 second, 2.68*10^16 Na+ ions and 3.92*10^16 Cl- ions arrive at the negative and positive electrodes, respectively. To calculate the current, the formula I = Q/t can be used, where I is current, Q is charge, and t is time. The charge of the ions can be found using the formula q = ne, where n is the number of ions and e is the charge of an electron. The current is the sum of the current due to the positive and negative ions. The direction of the current is from the positive to the negative electrode.
Goldenwind
[SOLVED] Current in a solution of NaCl ions.

Homework Statement

Current passes through a solution of sodium chloride. In 1.00 second, 2.68*10^16 Na+ ions arrive at the negative electrode and 3.92*10^16 Cl- ions arrive at the positive electrode.

A) What is the current passing between the electrodes?
B) What is the direction of the current? (Toward, or away from the negative electrode)

I haven't encountered a problem like this before in my Physics course, and I haven't taken Chem in a while. For part A, could I be given a hint on what equation to use?

For part B, how would I figure this out on my own (Without being told the answer)?
In theory, it'd be going towards the negative electrode, as we consider electricity to go from positive, to negative.

From what I understand, we basically have saltwater or saltliquid of somesort... which is a mix of Na+ and Cl-... when we pass current through this, the Cl- will shoot towards the positive electrode, and the Na+ towards the negative. But how do I use these facts to calculate a current?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any comments at all? Theories, or anything?
I haven't a clue on this one.

One formula (Which everyone probably knows) is I = Q/t, which might help.
Where I = Current, Q = Charge, t = Time. We're given time.

Is it possible to figure out charge of this current from the number of ions?

Edit: Omg, another formula I just remembered is q = ne!

We have n. How do we find the charge on these ions? My Chem is rusty >.<

They're Na+ and Cl- ions, deficient and in excess respectively of one electron.

[tex]e = 1.602 176 487 \cdot 10^{-19}C[/tex]

blindside said:
They're Na+ and Cl- ions, deficient and in excess respectively of one electron.

[tex]e = 1.602 176 487 \cdot 10^{-19}C[/tex]

Genious! :D

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! :D

For part a) Find out the current due to +ive ions and -ive ions. Add them to get total current...
For part b) You already know the answer >>> +ive to -ive

Last edited:

What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor or solution. It is measured in amperes (A) and is the rate at which electric charge is passing through a given point.

How is current measured in a solution of NaCl ions?

Current in a solution of NaCl ions is typically measured using a device called an ammeter. This is a type of electrical meter that is specifically designed to measure the flow of current.

What factors affect the current in a solution of NaCl ions?

The current in a solution of NaCl ions can be affected by a number of factors, including the concentration of NaCl ions, the temperature of the solution, and the presence of other ions or impurities in the solution.

How does the concentration of NaCl ions affect the current in a solution?

The concentration of NaCl ions in a solution can directly affect the current, as more ions means more charge carriers available to conduct electricity. Therefore, an increase in concentration will typically result in an increase in current, while a decrease in concentration will result in a decrease in current.

Is the current in a solution of NaCl ions affected by the temperature of the solution?

Yes, the temperature of a solution can also affect the current in a solution of NaCl ions. Generally, as the temperature of the solution increases, the current will also increase. This is because higher temperatures can increase the mobility of the ions, allowing them to move more easily through the solution and therefore increasing the flow of current.