Current Ionic Solution, Charges

In summary, the question involves current passing through a solution of sodium chloride and the task is to determine the current passing between the electrodes, with a final answer in milliamperes. The equation used is I = Q/Δt and the attempt at a solution involved calculating the current for each ion (Na+ and Cl-) and then summing them, resulting in a mistake due to opposite charges moving in opposite directions. The correct solution would involve taking the magnitude of the charges and then summing them, which would result in a positive current value.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

Current passes through a solution of sodium chloride. In 1.00 second, 2.68*10^16 Na+ ions arrive at the negative electrode and 3.92*10^16 Cl- ions arrive at the positive electrode. What is the current passing between the electrodes? Final answer must be in milliamperes.

Homework Equations

I = Q / Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

2.68*10^16 Na+ (1.6*10^-19 C) = 4.288 ma
3.68*10^16 Cl- (-1.6*10^-19C) = -6.272 ma

4.288 ma + (-6.272 ma) = -1.984 ma

Why is this incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ions aren't traveling in the same direction.

Bhumble said:
The ions aren't traveling in the same direction.

As far as I can tell OP accounted for that.

PeachBanana said:
3.68*10^16 Cl- (-1.6*10^-19C) = -6.272 ma

Buy a new calculator.

dQ/dt = I
opposite charges moving in opposite directions. Depending on the reference point both are either positive or negative.
Unless I'm missing something...

OP treats one current as positive, other as negative - that's equivalent.

And there is a simple math mistake in the final summation.

I don't see how that is equivalent since they are moving in opposite directions.
Say you have two charges one at point A and one at point B with one being positive and one being negative.
If they both move to opposite points then the magnitude dQ is 2. I don't see why this problem is different.

Sigh, you are right. Call it a senior moment.

1. What is a current ionic solution?

A current ionic solution is a liquid that contains charged particles, known as ions, that can carry an electric current. These ions can be positively charged (cations) or negatively charged (anions), and they are typically dissolved in water or another solvent.

2. How do ions acquire their charges in a solution?

Ions acquire their charges through a process called dissociation, where they break apart from their parent molecules and become charged. This can occur naturally in some substances, or it can be induced by adding an acid or base to a solution.

3. What is the significance of charges in a current ionic solution?

The charges in a current ionic solution are what allow it to conduct electricity. As the ions move through the solution, they carry electric charge with them, creating an electric current. This can have practical applications in batteries and other electronic devices.

4. How are the charges of ions determined in a solution?

The charges of ions are determined by the number of electrons they have gained or lost. An ion with a positive charge has lost one or more electrons, while an ion with a negative charge has gained one or more electrons. The overall charge of a solution will depend on the balance of positive and negative ions present.

5. Can a current ionic solution have a neutral overall charge?

Yes, a current ionic solution can have a neutral overall charge if the number of positive and negative ions is equal. This can occur when an acid and base are mixed together, resulting in the formation of water and a salt, which contains both positive and negative ions in equal amounts.