Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Current in magnetized materials

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1

iG3

I will qualify my questions /comments with the fact that I am not a materials science , chemistry, atomic physics, or electrochemical, engineer or scientist. that being said, I am thinking from atomic and material domain perspective that a material such as copper, chromium, nickel, bismuth . . . can they be superheated (just heated) to their phase changing point while exposed in an intense magnetic field then cooled. Will they (or some other materials) be pre disposed to create or at least more easily create current or voltage when a magnetic field is moved in proximity . . . or the materials are moved in proximity to each other?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2016 #2
    Yes, sort of.

Such materials are called magnets, and there are some motor/generators that use permanent magnets rather than (actually in addition to) electromagnets.

I don't think that's the cheapest/best way to make a magnet, but I think it works sort of.

4. Mar 4, 2016 #3
    You cannot magnetize copper or bismuth this way. It only works with ferromagnetic materials.
    You need to heat it above Curie temperature not the melting point. I am not sure what phase transition you mean in the OP.
    And what kind of current generation. A non-magnetized piece of iron will not produce any current when move in the proximity of a circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted