Why induction requires a magnetic material to produce a current

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a copper coil to create a magnetic field and the inability to use this field to produce a current in a non-magnetic material such as copper. It is explained that the magnetic properties of atoms/molecules do not create a current, but rather redirect it. The movement of electrons in a material is caused by a changing magnetic field and the low activation barrier for electron movement. It is also mentioned that the best material for induction stoves is one with resistance, rather than simply being a good electrical conductor. The cause of heat in an induction stove is attributed to the movement of magnetic dipoles in the material. Some models view electrons as tiny balls, while others consider them as waves spread throughout the material
Wille
TL;DR Summary
I wish to understand (on quantum/atom level) how the magnetic properties of atoms/molecules are creating electron movement (current) when placed in a magnetic field. For instance, a copper (a non magnetic metal) pot will not work on an induction stove even tough it is a very good electrical conductor.
I can create a fairly strong magnetic field by leading current through a copper coil. However, I cannot then with that magnetic field create a current (not a useful one at least) in an object made out of copper. I understand that this is because copper lacks of magnetic properties. For instance, a copper pot will not work on an induction stove even tough copper is a very good electrical conductor. The magnetic field however is created from an alternating current moving through a copper coil.

How do the magnetic properties of the atoms/molecules create a current when placed in an magnetic field? What makes electrons, in this case, start to move from atom to atom (i.e. a current)? Why will a non magnetic material placed in an magnetic will not produce a current?

Thanks.

Likes Dr_Nate
Physics news on Phys.org
Wille said:
a copper (a non magnetic metal) pot will not work on an induction stove even tough it is a very good electrical conductor.
You misundestood. Copper is fine for induction oven.
Wille said:
How do the magnetic properties of the atoms/molecules create a current when placed in an magnetic field?
Magnetic field do not create a current. Rather, magnetic field redirects current. To produce current, you need changing magnetic field. See "Lenz Law".

Wille said:
What makes electrons, in this case, start to move from atom to atom (i.e. a current)? Why will a non magnetic material placed in an magnetic will not produce a current?
Very low activation barrier against electron movement (free Fermi surface) make electrons mobile under electric or changing magnetic field. See "Electronic band structure".

Exactly because copper is good conductor is the reason it is not the best for an induction stove. You need resistance to create heat.

Electrons do not jump from atom to atom.

This question has intrigued me to read more about it. From what I've come across, so far, it is not the current and resistance which causes most of the heat in the pan, but the little magnetic dipoles in the iron moving back and forth, causing heat due to friction.

Likes Wille, vanhees71 and Dr_Nate
scottdave said:
This question has intrigued me to read more about it. From what I've come across, so far, it is not the current and resistance which causes most of the heat in the pan, but the little magnetic dipoles in the iron moving back and forth, causing heat due to friction.

@scottdave Thanks! Great answer! That make sense and explains why the metal has to be magnetic and why it is not enough with a metal being a good electrical conductor. It is foremost not a matter of moving electrons.

Many sites say that it is a matter of current and resistance though, for instance Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking
Here it is explained that the poor magnetic properties of copper makes it harder to get a concentrated current which in term makes it harder to produce heat...

Dr_Nate said:
Electrons do not jump from atom to atom.

@Dr_Nate Ok I thought that that is how electrons move. I.e. a current is free electrons moving from atom to atom. As the electrons collide with atoms, the kinetic energy of those atoms increases, i.e. heat is created.

Wille said:
@Dr_Nate Ok I thought that that is how electrons move. I.e. a current is free electrons moving from atom to atom. As the electrons collide with atoms, the kinetic energy of those atoms increases, i.e. heat is created.
Some models picture electrons in metals as tiny little tennis balls. Quantum mechanical solutions have the wave function of electron as plane waves spread out through the whole metal. Imperfections and other things do cause the electron to scatter and create heat.

Likes Wille and dextercioby

1. Why does induction require a magnetic material to produce a current?

Induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by varying the magnetic field around it. A magnetic material is required because it can easily be magnetized and demagnetized, allowing for a change in magnetic field and inducing a current in the conductor.

2. Can induction occur without a magnetic material?

Yes, induction can occur without a magnetic material, but it is not as efficient. A changing magnetic field can induce a current in any conductor, but a magnetic material helps to concentrate and amplify the magnetic field, resulting in a stronger induced current.

3. What is the role of the magnetic material in induction?

The magnetic material serves as a medium for the magnetic field to pass through and interact with the conductor. Without it, the magnetic field would not be as concentrated and the induced current would be weaker.

4. Is there a specific type of magnetic material that is needed for induction?

No, any material that can be easily magnetized and demagnetized can be used for induction. However, materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt are commonly used due to their high magnetic permeability.

5. Why is a magnetic material necessary for the production of electricity?

A magnetic material is not necessary for the production of electricity, but it is necessary for the process of induction. Induction is just one way of producing electricity, and it requires a magnetic material to generate a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces a current in a conductor.