Current in wire in Magnetic field[Easy QUICK question]

In summary, the question is whether the current through a wire moving towards the top or left side of a page will flow into the page, out of the page, or not at all. Using the right hand rule and the equations F=qv x B and F=IL x B, the conclusion is that the current will flow into the page in both scenarios due to the negative charges in the conductor.
orangefruit

Homework Statement

Suppose a very long straight wire were held perpendicular to the plane of the page such that it intersects the page at point D. Additionally, suppose the wire was being moved toward the top of the page.

Suppose instead that the wire were moved toward the left side of the page. Would the current through the wire flow into the page, out of the page, or not at all?

Q1_f1.png

Homework Equations

Right hand rules. F=qv x B. F= IL x B.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is into the page. I used qVxB. My index finger is going to the left. Middle finger straight. So the force is down. The force pushes positive currents into the page. Is this correct? My other way was F= ILxB. But it gave me out of the page. I think it's because I treat the force as the v. But I think that's wrong because that F is magnetic. Thank you for the help. This is a little urgent

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :)

Good Morning OrangeFruit,

In order for a current to be generated in a conductor due to of magnetic field, what are the conditions?

orangefruit said:

My other way was F= ILxB. But it gave me out of the page. I think it's because I treat the force as the v. But I think that's wrong because that F is magnetic. Thank you for the help. This is a little urgent

both of these point into the page... F=q*vxB where q is positive... but the current is due to negative charges so here the equation is F=-q*vxB=-ILxB...

Your explanation is correct. When the wire is moved towards the left side of the page, the current through the wire will flow into the page. This can be determined using the right hand rule for magnetic forces (F=qv x B). The force is directed downwards, so the current will flow into the page. It is important to remember that the force in this case is the force exerted by the magnetic field on the moving charges in the wire, not the force on the wire itself. Using the equation F=ILxB would give the incorrect result because the force in this case is not the same as the force experienced by the wire.

1. What is the relationship between current and magnetic field?

The relationship between current and magnetic field is described by Ampere's Law, which states that the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

2. How does a wire carrying current behave in a magnetic field?

A wire carrying current will experience a force when placed in a magnetic field. The direction of this force is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a wire carrying current?

The direction of the magnetic field around a wire carrying current is circular, with the wire at the center. The direction of the field can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the fingers curl in the direction of the current and the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the current in a wire?

The strength of the magnetic field can affect the current in a wire by inducing an electric field, which can cause a change in the current. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for technologies such as generators and transformers.

5. What factors affect the amount of current induced in a wire in a magnetic field?

The amount of current induced in a wire in a magnetic field is affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the wire moves through the field, and the length of the wire. Additionally, the resistance of the wire and the material it is made of can also affect the amount of current induced.