Current through 6 resistors in series and parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the current through resistor R6 and resistor R5 in a circuit with a 12V battery and resistors of equal resistance. The solution involves finding the equivalent resistance of the circuit and using Ohm's Law to calculate the current. There is also clarification on the voltage drop across R5.
skibum143

Homework Statement

See attached figure.
All resistors have the same resistance of 2.00kilo-Ohm. Assume V = 12V. Calculate the current through resistor R6 and resistor R5.

Homework Equations

V = IR
I = V/R
R total (series) = R1 + R2...etc
1/R total (parallel) = 1/R1 + 1/R2...etc

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the current would travel towards A, it would first go through R5 (in parallel with R1 and R3), and I = V/R so for R5, I = 12/2000 = .006 A
This is wrong and I don't understand why.
Then for R6, the total resistance for R1 - R5 is 10,000 ohm, so the voltage would drop 10,000*the current, but I don't know how to find the original current.
I'm completely lost. I redrew the figure, but still can't solve.

Attachments

• resistor.gif
    resistor.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 674
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just plug in any voltage that happens to be in the problem into Ohm's law. The current through R5 is equal to the voltage across R5 divided by R5, so you need to find that voltage first. The only voltage you know right now is the voltage across the battery.

Start by combining all the resistors into one equivalent resistance.

Using series and parallel combination find the resistance across AC. Then find the total resistance of the circuit.

I found the resistance across AC to be 1999 ohm, and the total resistance to be 3999 ohm.

There is no voltage drop before the current hits R5, correct? So wouldn't the voltage through R5 still be 12 V? This would make the current .006 A, which is wrong, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Also, I don't know how to calculate the voltage drop over AC because I don't know the current?

I found the resistance across AC to be 1999 ohm
Check your calculation for this part.

R1 and R2 in series= R1 + R2 = 4000 ohm
1/ (R1&2) and R3 in parallel = 1/4000 + 1/2000 = 1333 ohm
(R1,2,3) in series with R4 = 1333 + 2000 = 3333 ohm
1/ (R1,2,3,4) in parallel with R5 = 1/3333 + 1/2000 = 1250 ohm

So total resistance (R1,2,3,4,5) + R6 in series = 1350 ohm

sorry I meant total resistance is 3250 ohm

The battery is connected across this equivalent resistance, so you know the voltage drop across the resistance. Use Ohm's Law to calculate the current flowing out of the battery and through the circuit.

Ok, I understand how to get the current for R6 by calculating the voltage drop from A to C and using the leftover voltage to find the current for R6.

But, I still don't understand why I'm wrong on the current for R5.
R5 gets all 12 volts, and R5 has a resistance of 2000 ohm, so the current should be .006, but this is wrong and I don't understand why?

R5 doesn't have a 12-volt drop across it. The voltage drop across it is the difference in potential between points A and C.

Ah, I see. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

1. What is the difference between resistors in series and resistors in parallel?

In a series circuit, the resistors are connected end-to-end, with the current flowing through each resistor in order. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected side-by-side, with the current being split up and flowing through each resistor simultaneously.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance for a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This can be calculated using the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

3. How do I calculate the total resistance for a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. The inverse of this value is then taken to find the total resistance.

4. What happens to the total resistance if I add more resistors in series or parallel?

In a series circuit, adding more resistors will increase the total resistance. In a parallel circuit, adding more resistors will decrease the total resistance.

5. How does the current change in a series and parallel circuit with different resistors?

In a series circuit, the current is the same at all points in the circuit, regardless of the resistance of each resistor. In a parallel circuit, the current is divided between the branches of the circuit, with the branch containing the lower resistance having a higher current.