Current through a bound cross-section

In summary, to find the current through the outer section bounded by r = 0.917R and r = R, where J = (3.07 × 108)r2, with J in amperes per square meter and radial distance r in meters, you will need to set up an integral using the equation ∫ J ⋅ dA, where J is a function of r and dA is the differential area element expressed in terms of r. This will take into account the varying current density over the cross section of the wire, as the current density depends on the radial position within the conductor.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

[/B]
The magnitude J of the current density in a certain wire with a circular cross section of radius R = 2.20 mm is given by J = (3.07 × 108)r2, with J in amperes per square meter and radial distance r in meters. What is the current through the outer section bounded by r = 0.917R and r = R?

Givens
R = 2.20 mm = 2.20E-3
J = (3.07E8)r^2
r = .917R (inner bound)
r = R (outer bound)

Homework Equations

Cross section of wire (area) = [/B]pi(r)^2

Current Density =
J = I/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since we are attempting to find the current in a bounded section we need to subtract the outer bound area from the lower bound area:

pi(R)^2 - pi(.917R)^2 = bounded section area

Since we have the current density we can use I = JA:

(3.07E8)r^2* ( pi(R)^2 - pi(.917R)^2) = 736.8

It wants the answer in mA so = 736000 mA

It says my answer is incorrect, and I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently the current density depends upon the radial position within the conductor. So you can't simply deal with the areas involved, you need to take into account the current density over the cross section. You'll need to set up an integral to compute the current in the desired region.

gneill said:
Apparently the current density depends upon the radial position within the conductor. So you can't simply deal with the areas involved, you need to take into account the current density over the cross section. You'll need to set up an integral to compute the current in the desired region.

So am I only going to be integrating the area, or will the current density be involved? Is it the equation ∫ J ⋅ dA ?

RyanTAsher said:
So am I only going to be integrating the area, or will the current density be involved? Is it the equation ∫ J ⋅ dA ?
∫ J ⋅ dA is the appropriate notion. You'll have to work out the details since J is a function of r, and you'll need to express the differential area element dA in terms of r, too.

1. What is "current through a bound cross-section"?

"Current through a bound cross-section" refers to the flow of electric current through a specific area of a material that is bounded or enclosed by a surface. This can be thought of as the amount of charge passing through a specific point in a material over a period of time.

2. How is current through a bound cross-section calculated?

The current through a bound cross-section can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R) of the material. This can be represented as I = V/R. Additionally, the current can also be calculated by measuring the charge flowing through the material over a specific time period.

3. What is the significance of current through a bound cross-section?

The current through a bound cross-section is an important factor in understanding the behavior of materials and circuits. It can help determine the conductivity and resistance of a material, as well as the efficiency and performance of electronic devices and circuits.

4. What factors can affect the current through a bound cross-section?

The current through a bound cross-section can be affected by various factors such as the material's conductivity, temperature, and the voltage or potential difference applied to the material. It can also be influenced by the shape and size of the material, as well as the presence of any impurities or defects within the material.

5. What is the difference between current through a bound cross-section and current through a free cross-section?

The main difference between current through a bound cross-section and current through a free cross-section is that the former refers to the flow of current through a specific area of a material that is enclosed or bounded by a surface, while the latter refers to the flow of current through an open or unbounded area of a material. Bound cross-sections are typically used in calculations related to electronic circuits and materials, while free cross-sections are often used in calculations related to fluid dynamics and other fields of science.