Current through an inductor connected directly to a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the current in two different coils with different inductances connected to the same battery. The current in the second coil is found to be half as large as the first coil. The conversation also delves into the concept of back-emf and how an ideal inductor would interact with an ideal source of emf with no resistors in between. It is concluded that the current must steadily increase with time for the back-emf to be maintained.
Nick O

Homework Statement

A long, fine wire is wound into a coil with inductance 5 mH. The coil is connected across the terminals of a battery, and the current is measured a few seconds after the connection is made. The wire is unwound and wound again into a different coil with L = 10 mH. This second coil is connected across the same battery, and the current is measured in the same way. Compared with the current in the first coil, is the current in the second coil:

a) twice as large
b) one-fourth as large
c) unchanged
d) half as large
e) four times as large

Homework Equations

(1) εL = -L(dI/dt)
(2) ε - IR - L(dI/dt) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So, coming to a symbolic solution here is no problem. The answers include no exponential term, so the wire is obviously assumed to have zero resistance. Therefore, |ε| = εL, and I = ε/L * t. Therefore, the current in the second case is half as large as the current in the first case.

What bothers me here is this: R = 0, so by equation (2) the back-emf is equal to the battery's emf at all times. This would imply zero current at all times, wouldn't it? But if current is zero at all times, then the equation would false because dI/dt would be zero.

Could someone clear this up for me? How would an ideal inductor interact with an ideal source of emf with no resistors in between?

Physics news on Phys.org
The current starts off at zero if the battery potential is suddenly applied to the coil. But in order to maintain the constant back-emf the coil follows the rule: E = L dI/dt (for a suitable choice of direction of current). Now, what does that tell you about dI/dt if E is to remain constant for all time? What's the eventual fate of the current?

Now consider the possibility that the wire is not a superconductor but has some very small but finite resistance. How would your answer change?

Likes 1 person
By the equation E = L dI/dt, current would approach infinity for a superconductor. If wire had resistance, the current would asymptotically approach E/R, with E being the emf. These results are what I expect, but I am having trouble understanding how current begins to flow in the first place if E = L dI/dt at all times. It seems, to me, like this circuit:

circuit.png

I know qualitatively that this is a different matter, but it illustrates the point that is bothering me. The two equal and opposite batteries should completely cancel one another, resulting in zero current. The differential equation (equation 2) implies that the inductor and battery act as equal and opposite sources of EMF, and yet current is increasing (and must be for the back-emf to set up in the first place).

Is it perhaps that the back-emf is only extremely close to the potential difference across the battery, but not exactly the same?

The only way dI/dt can be constant is if the current is changing. The coil can retain its back-emf only if it draws current, and that current must steadily increase with time.

A lot of feedback systems exhibit this same property, where it appears that the stasis enforced by the feedback should actually prevent the stasis from coming into being in the first place. The thing is, at the macroscopic level it appears that the potentials are precisely equal and that no charge should flow, but at the 'differential' level, there is a vanishingly small but sufficient difference to get the process started. Blame it on the finite speed of light :smile:

Once a single charge carrier crosses the line, a change in current has happened and the process has begun.

Likes 1 person
That's what I needed to hear, thank you!

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coil of wire and is used in circuits to regulate current and create magnetic fields.

2. How does current flow through an inductor connected to a battery?

When an inductor is connected directly to a battery, a sudden change in current occurs. Initially, the current through the inductor will be zero, but it will gradually increase as the magnetic field builds up. Once the inductor is fully charged, the current will stabilize and flow normally.

3. What is the relationship between current and voltage in an inductor connected to a battery?

In an ideal inductor, the current through it is directly proportional to the voltage across it. This means that if the voltage is increased, the current will also increase, and vice versa. However, in real-world circuits, there may be resistance and other factors that affect this relationship.

4. What happens to the current in an inductor when the battery is disconnected?

When the battery is disconnected, the current in the inductor will continue to flow in the same direction as before. This is because of the stored energy in the magnetic field, which will try to maintain the current flow. However, over time, the current will decrease as the magnetic field dissipates.

5. How does the inductor affect the overall circuit when connected to a battery?

An inductor can have various effects on a circuit when connected to a battery. It can act as a filter, smoothing out fluctuations in current. It can also cause a delay in the current flow, known as inductive reactance. Additionally, it can affect the voltage and current levels in the circuit, depending on the inductor's properties and the other components in the circuit.