Current through Earth's center to produce magnetic field

In summary, the Earth's magnetic field strength at the surface is 5x10^-5 T and space shuttles orbit the Earth at 7860 m/s at an altitude of 322 km. To determine the current of a single current loop at the Earth's radius, the formula I=(Bx2piR)/u= 1.6x10^9 A was used. However, when solving for the magnetic field at the shuttle's altitude, a different formula should have been used. The B field of a long straight current was used instead of the appropriate formula for a current loop at a certain distance from the Earth's center. This may have resulted in an incorrect answer and confusion for the student.
aldofbg
1. The field strength of the Earth is 5x10^-5 T at the surface. Space shuttles orbit the Earth at a speed of 7860 m/s . They orbit at an altitude of 322 km. If we assume that a single current loop at the Earth's radius is generating the magnetic field, then what is the current? Determine the magnetic field at the space shuttles altitude.

2. Radius of Earth= 6.38x10^6 m
Amperes law= SBdl=uI (the S is my integral sign)
V=kQ/r

3. SBdl=uI
B is the magnetic field at the Earth's surface. dl becomes the Earth's circumference which is 2piR. I then solved for I by plugging in values and ending up with the formula I=(Bx2piR)/u= 1.6x10^9 A
I then used that value and solved in reverse for B using R as the distance from Earth's center to the shuttle height getting 4.77x10^-5 T.
This was an exam question and my professor marked it as wrong. I don't understand why and I was hoping someone could explain what I did wrong. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the formula for the B field of a long straight current. The problem refers to a "single current loop at the Earth's radius". It's not clear to me what that means.

1. What is the process of producing a magnetic field through the Earth's center?

The process of producing a magnetic field through the Earth's center is called the geodynamo. It involves the movement of molten iron and nickel in the Earth's outer core, which creates electric currents. These currents generate a magnetic field that extends from the Earth's interior to its surface and beyond.

2. How strong is the magnetic field produced through the Earth's center?

The strength of the magnetic field produced through the Earth's center is approximately 25 to 65 microteslas (μT) at the Earth's surface. This can vary depending on location and time, as the magnetic field is not uniform and is constantly changing.

3. What is the purpose of the magnetic field produced through the Earth's center?

The magnetic field produced through the Earth's center serves several important purposes. It helps protect the Earth from harmful solar radiation and charged particles, which can cause damage to our atmosphere and electronics. It also plays a crucial role in navigation, as many animals use the Earth's magnetic field for orientation.

4. Can humans replicate the process of producing a magnetic field through the Earth's center?

No, humans do not have the technology or resources to replicate the complex process of producing a magnetic field through the Earth's center. It requires extreme temperatures, pressures, and a molten core of iron and nickel, which are not feasible for us to recreate.

5. How does the magnetic field produced through the Earth's center affect our daily lives?

The magnetic field produced through the Earth's center has a significant impact on our daily lives. It helps protect us from harmful radiation, aids in navigation, and also influences our climate and weather patterns. Without it, life on Earth would be much different and potentially uninhabitable.