1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current through Earth's center to produce magnetic field

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    1. The field strength of the earth is 5x10^-5 T at the surface. Space shuttles orbit the earth at a speed of 7860 m/s . They orbit at an altitude of 322 km. If we assume that a single current loop at the earths radius is generating the magnetic field, then what is the current? Determine the magnetic field at the space shuttles altitude.

2. Radius of Earth= 6.38x10^6 m
    Amperes law= SBdl=uI (the S is my integral sign)
    V=kQ/r

3. SBdl=uI
    B is the magnetic field at the earths surface. dl becomes the earths circumference which is 2piR. I then solved for I by plugging in values and ending up with the formula I=(Bx2piR)/u= 1.6x10^9 A
    I then used that value and solved in reverse for B using R as the distance from earths center to the shuttle height getting 4.77x10^-5 T.
    This was an exam question and my professor marked it as wrong. I don't understand why and I was hoping someone could explain what I did wrong. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You used the formula for the B field of a long straight current. The problem refers to a "single current loop at the earth's radius". It's not clear to me what that means.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted