Current through parallel plate capacitor vibration sensor

In summary, a parallel plate capacitor is used as a vibration sensor. The plates have an area of 100cm^2, the dieelectric is air, and the dist between the plates is given byd(t)=1+.01 sin(200 t) mm
HappMatt

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor is used as a vibration sensor. The plates have an area of 100cm^2, the dieelectric is air, and the dist between the plates is given by

d(t)=1+.01 sin(200 t) mm

A constant voltage of 200 V is applied to the sensor. Determine the current through tthe sensor as a function of time by using the aproximation1/(1+x) = 1-x for x<<1.

Homework Equations

C=(1*10000mm^2)/(d(t)
i(t)= C* dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

this is about as far as i have gotten because I am not sure how to approach this exactly because I am not sure what the dv/dt is since i know it has a constant voltage across it there is 200 v across the capacitor but that leaves me with dv/dt =0.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for electric potential (voltage) of a parallel plate capacitor? Look at your variables in the equation; something must be changing with time to keep a the potential constant.

buffordboy23 said:
What is the equation for electric potential (voltage) of a parallel plate capacitor? Look at your variables in the equation; something must be changing with time to keep a the potential constant.

The only thing that seems to be changin with time is the capacitance. And the equation for voltage aross a parallel plate cap is

v(t)=(1/c)(INTEGRAL(i(t)) + V0

and so far that has done me no good when I use that to substitute into the equation for i(t). I have written the question down exactly as it is in the book and I am not sure where to go with this. I'm thinking about it but nothing has seemed to work yet.

Sure, capacitance depends inversely on the distance between the plates. If the capacitance varies, the charge q must vary as well.

So that we are on the same page, these were the equations that came to my mind.

[tex] V = \frac{Qd}{A\epsilon_{0}} [/tex]

and

[tex] C = \frac{A\epsilon_{0}}{d} [/tex]

yeah that makes sense i realize that something is varying and I had not seen this form of the equation yet
[tex]
V = \frac{Qd}{A\epsilon_{0}}
[tex]
and i think it might make a little more sense seeing that but I am not sure on how i would get the charge then.

SO here is what i ended up with. I scanned my paper and hopefully this works. If anyone has any better ideas that i can implement before class tomorrow i would be more than happy for the help along with the help i have recied already.
thanks Matt

Attachments

• Scan0001.pdf
    226.9 KB · Views: 299
Yes, your dV/dt = 0, if V is constant. You said that the capacitance is changing though, so this must mean that the amount of charge Q is changing:

[tex] C = \frac{Q}{V} [/tex]

Since Q is changing, there must be a current:

[tex] i\left(t\right) = \frac{dQ\left(t\right) }{dt} [/tex]

This is a general algorithm for how I would solve the problem, which is different from your method. First, since the dielectric is air, I would assume that [tex] \kappa = 1 [/tex] (but of course you could leave it in there). Rearrange the following equation for [tex] Q\left(t\right) [/tex]

[tex]
V = \frac{Qd}{A\kappa\epsilon_{0}}
[/tex]

and then substitute the time-dependent distance into the equation . Next apply your small x approximation and then take the time-derivative of [tex] Q\left(t\right) [/tex] to get your current [tex] i\left(t\right) [/tex]. The amplitude of the current is really small (on the order of femto-amps). Does this amplitude make sense to you? I am not an EE major, so I briefly looked at some commercial sites that sold sensors and found ones with this level of sensitivity.

Last edited:

1. How does a parallel plate capacitor vibration sensor work?

A parallel plate capacitor vibration sensor works by utilizing the principle of capacitance, which is the ability of a capacitor to store electrical charge. The sensor consists of two parallel metal plates separated by a small gap. When the sensor experiences a vibration, the distance between the plates changes, causing a change in capacitance. This change in capacitance can be measured and converted into an electrical signal that corresponds to the vibration.

2. What are the advantages of using a parallel plate capacitor vibration sensor?

There are several advantages of using a parallel plate capacitor vibration sensor. Firstly, they are highly sensitive and can detect even small vibrations. They also have a wide frequency range and can detect vibrations in both high and low frequencies. Additionally, they are relatively simple and inexpensive to manufacture, making them a cost-effective option for many applications.

3. What are the applications of parallel plate capacitor vibration sensors?

Parallel plate capacitor vibration sensors have many applications in various industries. They are commonly used in automotive and aerospace industries for monitoring engine and structural vibrations. They are also used in electronic devices for touch sensing and in medical devices for detecting heartbeats and other bodily vibrations. They can also be used for seismology and earthquake detection.

4. How do I calibrate a parallel plate capacitor vibration sensor?

To calibrate a parallel plate capacitor vibration sensor, you will need a known vibration source, such as a shaker table. First, measure the capacitance of the sensor when it is not experiencing any vibrations. Then, expose the sensor to the known vibration source and measure the change in capacitance. This will allow you to establish a relationship between the change in capacitance and the vibration intensity, which can be used to calibrate the sensor.

5. Can a parallel plate capacitor vibration sensor be used in harsh environments?

It depends on the specific sensor and its construction. Some parallel plate capacitor vibration sensors are designed to withstand harsh environments, such as high temperatures, humidity, and exposure to chemicals. However, others may not be suitable for these conditions and may require additional protection or specialized versions for use in harsh environments. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines before using a sensor in a harsh environment.