Currently working through Apostol need a check on my logic

In summary, To prove that (a-1)-1=a, we can use the existence of reciprocals axiom to show that (a-1)-1 has a reciprocal, (a-1)-1, and then use the possibility of division theorem to simplify (a-1)-1 a-1 to 1. Multiplying by a on the right gives us (a-1)-1=a, proving the theorem.
VectorField

Homework Statement

Prove the following theorem.
If a≠0, then (a-1)-1=a

Theorems proven before/axioms I am allowed to use:
Existence of reciprocals axiom: there exist real numbers x and y where x≠0 such that xy=1
Possibility of division Thm: basically a-1=1/a

Homework Equations

I just need a check on my proof since I am self studying the book. Any logical mistakes on my proof or suggestions etc? This is my first time writing proofs.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume (a-1)-1=a is true.
Then by the existence of reciprocals axiom there exists an x such that (a-1)-1x=1.
Hence,
(a-1)-1x=ax​
ax=1​
Now by the possibility of division theorem we have,
x=1/a=a-1
Finally since we assumed (a-1)-1=a was true it follows that:
(a-1)-1x=ax=aa-1=1​
Q.E.D​

It looks fine to me, I'm just a noob at proofs. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
VectorField said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following theorem.
If a≠0, then (a-1)-1=a

Theorems proven before/axioms I am allowed to use:
Existence of reciprocals axiom: there exist real numbers x and y where x≠0 such that xy=1
Possibility of division Thm: basically a-1=1/a

Homework Equations

I just need a check on my proof since I am self studying the book. Any logical mistakes on my proof or suggestions etc? This is my first time writing proofs.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume (a-1)-1=a is true.
Then by the existence of reciprocals axiom there exists an x such that (a-1)-1x=1.
Hence,
(a-1)-1x=ax​
ax=1​
Now by the possibility of division theorem we have,
x=1/a=a-1
Finally since we assumed (a-1)-1=a was true it follows that:
(a-1)-1x=ax=aa-1=1​
Q.E.D​

It looks fine to me, I'm just a noob at proofs. Thanks.
According to the first line of your proof,
Assume (a-1)-1=a is true.​
you're assuming that the thing you're proving is true.

That's a definite No-No .

I suggest starting with:
a-1 has a reciprocal, (a-1)-1.

Therefore, (a-1)-1 a-1 = 1
Now, multiply that by a, with a being on the right.

Last edited:

1. What is "Currently working through Apostol need a check on my logic"?

"Currently working through Apostol need a check on my logic" refers to a mathematics textbook written by Tom M. Apostol, which covers topics in calculus, linear algebra, and real analysis. The phrase "need a check on my logic" likely indicates that the person is actively working through the problems in the textbook and wants to ensure their reasoning is correct.

2. Is "Currently working through Apostol need a check on my logic" a beginner-friendly textbook?

This textbook is often considered more advanced and rigorous compared to other calculus textbooks. It may be challenging for beginners, but it is a popular choice for mathematics majors and students looking for a deeper understanding of the subject.

3. How can I check my logic while working through "Currently working through Apostol need a check on my logic"?

One way to check your logic is to consult the solutions manual, if it is available. You can also compare your solutions with those provided by other students or seek assistance from a math tutor or professor.

4. What topics are covered in "Currently working through Apostol need a check on my logic"?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics including functions, limits, derivatives, integrals, vector spaces, and more. It also includes challenging exercises and proofs to develop critical thinking skills.

5. Is "Currently working through Apostol need a check on my logic" a good resource for preparing for exams?

Yes, this textbook can be a useful resource for exam preparation as it covers many important topics in calculus and other areas of mathematics. However, it is important to supplement your study with additional resources and practice problems.