Currents through a circuit (junctions/series/parallel)

In summary: I'm not sure. I think the current might go through the square and then go to the circle above it, but I'm not sure.
RelativeJosef

Homework Statement

Find currents through M and N

Homework Equations

Current out must be current in.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it is simply 3 parallels running with 5A of current. So, M is in series with the 2A current thus also has 2A of current. Would N also be in series with the two elements with 1A of current, thus making it's current also 1A?

I am confused because of the third pathway between the second and third parallel. Would the current try to skip the path with two elements in the bottom right?

So I think I am certain M has 2A of current. Then the question remains, Does N have 2A of current, or does the current run through all three elements in the third parallel making it's current 1A?

Attachments

• image00152e2f2f7.jpg
    image00152e2f2f7.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
RelativeJosef said:

Homework Statement

Find currents through M and N

Homework Equations

Current out must be current in.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it is simply 3 parallels running with 5A of current. So, M is in series with the 2A current thus also has 2A of current. Would N also be in series with the two elements with 1A of current, thus making it's current also 1A?

I am confused because of the third pathway between the second and third parallel. Would the current try to skip the path with two elements in the bottom right?

So I think I am certain M has 2A of current. Then the question remains, Does N have 2A of current, or does the current run through all three elements in the third parallel making it's current 1A?
Your answer is incorrect. Try thinking of what happens at each junction, where the current can take multiple paths. At each of these points, the current out has to equal the current in. So there is 5A coming out of the top of the battery. 1A goes down through the square, so how much is left to travel through the wire between the top of the square square and the top circle? Of this, 2A flows through the top circle. So how much is left after the 2A flows through the top circle? All of this has to flow through N. Similarly, you can work backward from the bottom of the battery. 5A is flowing into the bottom of the battery. 1A is flowing in from the square, so how much is flowing through the wire between the bottom of M and the bottom of the square? You know 1A is coming from the bottom circle, so how much is coming through M?

Likes RelativeJosef
phyzguy said:
Your answer is incorrect. Try thinking of what happens at each junction, where the current can take multiple paths. At each of these points, the current out has to equal the current in. So there is 5A coming out of the top of the battery. 1A goes down through the square, so how much is left to travel through the wire between the top of the square square and the top circle?
There are 4A remaining

phyzguy said:
Of this, 2A flows through the top circle. So how much is left after the 2A flows through the top circle?
2A remain

phyzguy said:
All of this has to flow through N. Similarly, you can work backward from the bottom of the battery. 5A is flowing into the bottom of the battery. 1A is flowing in from the square, so how much is flowing through the wire between the bottom of M and the bottom of the square? You know 1A is coming from the bottom circle, so how much is coming through M?

So N must have 2A, but I am still confused about M. I would think it to have 2A as well? Working backwards from the battery was something I did not think about. But since 1A comes back to the battery from the first square, an unknown amount leaves M, and then 1A comes back from the final branch. This means M would have 3A? But how would the square above M have 2A and then it suddenly gains current to become 3A?

Thank you for your help, any more would be greatly appreciated.

RelativeJosef said:
So N must have 2A, but I am still confused about M. I would think it to have 2A as well? Working backwards from the battery was something I did not think about. But since 1A comes back to the battery from the first square, an unknown amount leaves M, and then 1A comes back from the final branch. This means M would have 3A? But how would the square above M have 2A and then it suddenly gains current to become 3A?

Thank you for your help, any more would be greatly appreciated.

M has 3A like you said. It gains current because there is 1A flowing through the wire connecting N to M, and this 1A adds to the 2A flowing through the top circle to bring the current through M up to 3A. The lower right circles both have 1A.

Likes RelativeJosef

What is a current and how does it flow through a circuit?

A current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. It is typically measured in units of Amperes (A). Current flows from the positive terminal of a battery or power source, through the circuit's components, and back to the negative terminal of the power source in a continuous loop.

What is a junction in a circuit and how does it affect current?

A junction is a point in a circuit where multiple paths for current to flow meet. At a junction, the total current flowing into the junction must be equal to the total current flowing out of the junction. This is known as Kirchhoff's Current Law and is essential for understanding and analyzing circuit currents.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected along a single path. This means that the current is the same across each component, but the voltage may differ. In a parallel circuit, there are multiple paths for current to flow. This means that the voltage is the same across each component, but the current may differ. In general, series circuits are used for simple circuits with one or two components, while parallel circuits are used for more complex circuits with multiple components.

How do resistors affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Resistors are components that are designed to restrict the flow of current in a circuit. They do this by creating resistance to the flow of electrons. The higher the resistance of a resistor, the more it will restrict the flow of current. This can be useful for controlling the amount of current flowing through different parts of a circuit.

What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

DC is a type of current where the flow of electric charge is in one direction. It is commonly used in small electronic devices and battery-powered devices. AC is a type of current where the flow of electric charge periodically changes direction. It is used in larger electrical systems, such as power grids, and is more efficient for long-distance transmission of electricity.