Understanding Short Circuit Current Paths in Electrical Circuits

In summary, the short circuit current ##I_{SC}## only flows through the resistor ##2R## for an instant, so the current that is measured is the one that arrives due to the resistor ##2R##, which is the current that flows through circuit element ##R##.
madafo3435
Homework Statement
I want to explain why when calculating the short-circuit current between the terminals (see the attached figure), no current takes the route through resistor R.
Relevant Equations
1605395148922.png

My reasoning is as follows: with the short circuit present, a 0 resistance can be considered between the terminals. Then, since the only objective of the short circuit current ##I_{SC}## is to give information about the Thevenin equivalent resistance and the open circuit voltage (the existence of these values is given by thevenin's theorem). The presence of the short circuit is considered for only an instant, so the only current that is measured is the one that arrives due to the resistor ##2R##, that is, at the instant of this presence of the short circuit, the current that flows through circuit element ##R## does not reach the terminals, so we can assume that no current takes the path through circuit element ##R##.

I do not know if this is correct, and if it is not, could someone enlighten me with this inconvenience?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow your explanation, but if those two terminals at the bottom are connected then the two junctions connecting to R and the positive pole of the battery are all connected by resistanceless wires and so are t the same potential and there us no p.d. to drive current through R.

Likes madafo3435
epenguin said:
I don't follow your explanation, but if those two terminals at the bottom are connected then the two junctions connecting to R and the positive pole of the battery are all connected by resistanceless wires and so are t the same potential and there us no p.d. to drive current through R.
Your reasoning confuses me. It is not clear to me which elements have the same potential, and I do not see why this leads to no current flowing through R. I also assume that p.d. refers to partial discharge, but I am not related to that concept.

P.d. = potential difference.
Everything connected by a resistanceless wire is at the same potential.

• Informative
Likes madafo3435
epenguin said:
P.d. = potential difference.
Everything connected by a resistanceless wire is at the same potential.
ohh I get it, I need to think a lot more about it since it is not obvious to me. thanks for your help

1. What is a short circuit?

A short circuit occurs when there is a low resistance connection between two points in an electrical circuit, causing an excessive flow of current. This can result in overheating and damage to the circuit or even cause a fire.

2. What is the purpose of a short circuit current path?

The purpose of a short circuit current path is to provide a low resistance path for the flow of current in case of a short circuit. This helps to protect the electrical system and prevent damage or hazards.

3. How does a short circuit current path work?

In a short circuit, the current will take the path of least resistance. The short circuit current path is designed to have a lower resistance than the rest of the circuit, so the majority of the current will flow through it. This helps to prevent damage to the circuit and other components.

4. What are the components of a short circuit current path?

The main components of a short circuit current path include fuses, circuit breakers, and grounding systems. These components work together to provide a low resistance path for the current and protect the circuit from damage.

5. How can a short circuit current path be tested?

A short circuit current path can be tested using a multimeter to measure the resistance between different points in the circuit. If the resistance is significantly lower in the short circuit current path, it means that it is functioning properly. Regular maintenance and testing of electrical systems can help to ensure the effectiveness of the short circuit current path.