Curriculum planning for un-learning

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curriculum
In summary, experts in curriculum design take into account the fact that students must unlearn some of what they learned at an earlier stage in order to learn new material.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Learning mathematics and science at a given stage seems to involve unlearning some of what you learned at an earlier stage. Do experts in "curriculum design" take this into account when they organize materials?

At the moment, I'm thinking of the intuitive, but technically incorrect definition of "center of mass" given at http://dev.physicslab.org/Document.aspx?doctype=3&filename=RotaryMotion_CenterMass.xml , but, of course, there are many other examples of things we learned at one stage of education and have to un-learn later.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Do experts in "curriculum design" take this into account when they organize materials?
A $64,000 question. Impression, based on frequency of "n goes into m a total of l times with a remainder of r" answers to long division problems at high school level, is "No." The kids will even give you the calculator keystrokes to arrive at this result for the introductory use of the "by hand" long division algorithm, and show "n x l + r = m" as a check of their work. They've never unlearned the "remainder" game, and that's the way they're going to do it forever.
Science? I cannot honestly tell you that I've seen evidence that the introductory material that has to be unlearned has actually been taught --- current approaches appear to be built around a "creative investigation," the kids observe and explain any old way they want, and never get steered toward fossilized scientific methods. Hopefully that's not universal, and I've just been unfortunate enough to see only the "novel" methods.
That's part of what got me active again on PF, curiosity regarding what was showing up for OPs, and I'd say what I've seen over the last couple months is consistent with what I've been seeing elsewhere.

As all subject matter is presented more or less in a linear sequence, I don't think that unlearning is required. You may not see this sequence when you are "being exposed" to new material but it has to be there for further learning to take place. You can't add when you can't count because counting is inherent in addition. Likewise with any subject matter, there must be building blocks of some sort. So unlearning is not part of the education experience. Relearning is different because you can at times see the structure involved and depending on the approach being used, it will appear as different.

jmeps said:
So unlearning is not part of the education experience..

I completely disagree. Unlearning may not be part of the theoretical experience of some idealized student that exists in the mind of curriculum planners, but it is a part of every actual student's experience.

QM is introduced in HS chemistry with the Bohr atom. Little tiny marbles orbiting another little marble. Getting people to unlearn that model is one giant, never ending headache.

1. What is the purpose of curriculum planning for un-learning?

The purpose of curriculum planning for un-learning is to identify and address outdated or incorrect information and beliefs that may hinder the learning process. It involves intentionally challenging and revising existing knowledge and skills in order to create space for new learning.

2. How does un-learning differ from traditional learning?

Un-learning differs from traditional learning in that it involves intentionally questioning and challenging existing beliefs and knowledge, rather than simply building upon them. It requires a willingness to let go of old ideas and approaches in order to make room for new ones.

3. What are some strategies for incorporating un-learning into curriculum planning?

Some strategies for incorporating un-learning into curriculum planning include providing opportunities for students to critically reflect on their existing knowledge and beliefs, incorporating diverse perspectives and experiences, and encouraging open-mindedness and curiosity.

4. How can un-learning benefit students?

Un-learning can benefit students by promoting critical thinking skills, developing a growth mindset, and fostering a deeper understanding of complex concepts. It can also help students develop flexibility and adaptability, which are important skills in today's rapidly changing world.

5. How can teachers support un-learning in the classroom?

Teachers can support un-learning in the classroom by creating a safe and inclusive learning environment, encouraging students to question and challenge their own thinking, and providing opportunities for reflection and discussion. They can also model un-learning themselves by being open to new ideas and continuously learning alongside their students.