Curvature and Tangent Line Distance Relationship

In summary, the problem asks to find the radius of curvature at a given point on a curve and show that it is three times the distance from the origin to the tangent line at that point. To solve this, implicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of the given equation. The distance from the origin to the point is then found using the equation of the curve. The result shows that the radius of curvature is indeed three times the distance from the origin to the tangent line, as required. There may be some confusion in the attempted solution due to a mistake in the differentiation process.
TyroneTheDino

Homework Statement

Let T be the tangent line at the point P(x,y) to the graph of the curve ##x^{\frac{2}{3}}+y^{\frac{2}{3}}=a^{\frac{2}{3}}, a>0##. Show that the radius of curvature at P is three times the distance from the origin to the tangent line T.

Homework Equations

R=1/K
##R=\frac{\left ( 1+\left ( y' \right )^2 \right )^{2/3}}{y''}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having quite a lot of trouble figuring out where to begin this problem. I know that I need to find the curvature and radius of curvature of the given curve, but just find that is confusing to me.

To begin I used Wolfram Alpha to evaluate what the curvature and radius of curvature would be. I get the result that
##K=3\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}+\frac{1}{y^{\frac{2}{3}}}}\left ( x\cdot y \right )^{\frac{3}{2}}##
##R=\frac{1}{3\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}+\frac{1}{y^{\frac{2}{3}}}}\left ( x\cdot y \right )^{\frac{3}{2}}}##

I'm not sure how this conclusion is made considering it is unclear to me how to actually differentiate the original equation to find K or R.

I know that the distance from the origin to the point P could be found by integrating the magnitude of the derivative of th original equation equation, but I am not sure how to integrate this way either.

I was thinking maybe I could give "a" an arbitrary value like 1 so that I might actually be able to differentiate it, yet I am not sure about it. Is there any differentiation technique that I should be looking specifically at to help me find the derivative of ##x^{\frac{2}{3}}+y^{\frac{2}{3}}=a^{\frac{2}{3}}, a>0##?

Or am i going about this problem completely wrong and should think of curvature and the tangent line in a different sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have a hint? I have been working on this problem in between my breaks at school, and can't understand where to start.

TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

Let T be the tangent line at the point P(x,y) to the graph of the curve ##x^{\frac{2}{3}}+y^{\frac{2}{3}}=a^{\frac{2}{3}}, a>0##. Show that the radius of curvature at P is three times the distance from the origin to the tangent line T.

Homework Equations

R=1/K
##R=\frac{\left ( 1+\left ( y' \right )^2 \right )^{2/3}}{y''}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having quite a lot of trouble figuring out where to begin this problem. I know that I need to find the curvature and radius of curvature of the given curve, but just find that is confusing to me.

To begin I used Wolfram Alpha to evaluate what the curvature and radius of curvature would be. I get the result that
##K=3\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}+\frac{1}{y^{\frac{2}{3}}}}\left ( x\cdot y \right )^{\frac{3}{2}}##
##R=\frac{1}{3\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}+\frac{1}{y^{\frac{2}{3}}}}\left ( x\cdot y \right )^{\frac{3}{2}}}##

I'm not sure how this conclusion is made considering it is unclear to me how to actually differentiate the original equation to find K or R.
Use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx in your equation ##x^{2/3} + y^{2/3} = a^{2/3}##.
TyroneTheDino said:
I know that the distance from the origin to the point P could be found by integrating the magnitude of the derivative of th original equation equation, but I am not sure how to integrate this way either.
The distance from the origin to P(x, y) is ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##. This is a point on the graph whose equation is given, so I would look for using that equation to get the distance in terms of x alone.
TyroneTheDino said:
I was thinking maybe I could give "a" an arbitrary value like 1 so that I might actually be able to differentiate it, yet I am not sure about it. Is there any differentiation technique that I should be looking specifically at to help me find the derivative of ##x^{\frac{2}{3}}+y^{\frac{2}{3}}=a^{\frac{2}{3}}, a>0##?

Or am i going about this problem completely wrong and should think of curvature and the tangent line in a different sense?

Mark44 said:
Use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx in your equation x2/3+y2/3=a2/3x^{2/3} + y^{2/3} = a^{2/3}.

When differentiating is it okay if I say that a^(2/3) will be a constant?

TyroneTheDino said:
When differentiating is it okay if I say that a^(2/3) will be a constant?
Yes

For differentiating the first equation I get##-\frac{\sqrt[3]{y}}{\sqrt[3]{x}}##. And when I do the second derivative, and I end up with ##\left ( \frac{1}{3} \right )\sqrt[3]{\frac{y}{x^4}}##.

Using these values I get

##\frac{3\left ( \frac{x^\frac{2}{3}+y^{\frac{3}{2}}}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}} \right )^{\frac{3}{2}}}{\left ( \frac{1}{3} \right )\sqrt[3]{\frac{y}{x^4}}}##

as the curvature, but I think that looks like it is going in the wrong direction still.

Considering that when I typed the original equation. I got the result that the curvature of the radius is

##3\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}}+\frac{1}{y^{\frac{2}{3}}}}(xy)^{2/3}##

Is there anything that you can suggest I am making a mistake on?

1. What is the relationship between curvature and the distance of a tangent line?

The curvature of a curve at a given point is directly related to the distance between the curve and its tangent line at that point. As the curvature increases, the distance between the curve and its tangent line decreases.

2. How is the curvature of a curve defined?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from a straight line at a given point. It is defined as the reciprocal of the radius of curvature at that point.

3. Can the curvature of a curve ever be negative?

No, the curvature of a curve is always a positive value. A negative curvature would imply that the curve is turning in the opposite direction, which is not possible.

4. Is there a mathematical formula for calculating the distance between a curve and its tangent line?

Yes, the distance between a curve and its tangent line can be calculated using the formula d = |y-yt|/√(1+m2), where y is the y-coordinate of a point on the curve, yt is the y-coordinate of the tangent point, and m is the slope of the tangent line.

5. How does the distance between a curve and its tangent line change as the point moves along the curve?

The distance between a curve and its tangent line varies as the point moves along the curve. As the point approaches a point of high curvature, the distance between the curve and its tangent line decreases. As the point moves away from the point of high curvature, the distance between the curve and its tangent line increases.