T(t) = r'(t) / |r'(t)|

K = |dT/ds|
1695568095854.png

(a)
$$\frac{ds}{dt}=|r'(t)|$$
$$=\sqrt{(x(t))^2+(y(t))^2+(z(t))^2}$$
$$=\frac{2}{9}+\frac{7}{6}t^4$$

$$s=\int_0^t |r'(a)|da=\frac{2}{9}t+\frac{7}{30}t^5$$

Then I think I need to rearrange the equation so ##t## is the subject, but how?

Thanks

Edit: wait, I realize my mistake. Let me redo

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I can do (a). I got ##s=t^2##

For (b), I just want to ask about the correct approach. I think I need to use the chain rule to find r'(t) so ##r'(t)=\frac{dr}{ds}\times \frac{ds}{dt}##

Am I correct? Thanks

What is a unit tangent vector?

A unit tangent vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is tangent to a curve at a specific point. It represents the direction in which the curve is moving at that point.

How is a unit tangent vector calculated?

A unit tangent vector can be calculated by taking the derivative of the position vector with respect to the arc length parameterization. This gives the velocity vector, which can then be divided by its magnitude to get the unit tangent vector.

What is curvature?

Curvature is a measure of how quickly a curve changes direction at a specific point. It is calculated by taking the second derivative of the position vector with respect to the arc length parameterization and dividing it by the magnitude of the first derivative.

What is arc length parameterization?

Arc length parameterization is a way of representing a curve by using the distance along the curve as the parameter. This allows for a more natural and intuitive way of measuring and calculating properties of the curve.

How are unit tangent vector and curvature related?

The unit tangent vector and curvature are related in that the unit tangent vector represents the direction of the curve at a specific point, while the curvature represents how quickly the curve is changing direction at that point. They are both calculated using the arc length parameterization and are important in understanding the behavior of a curve.