1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvature, More of a cross product question really.

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    I've been using various methods of finding curvature, and using the forumla

[tex]

K=\frac{||\vec{r}'X \vec{r}''||}{||\vec{r}'||^3}

[/tex]

I took the cross product of my two vectors and came up with (just assume this is correct, if my question isn't answered i'll post all related work)

[tex]

128 \pi^3 sin(2 \pi t)^2 - -128 \pi^3 cos(2 \pi t)^2

[/tex]

My question is: Can I factor out the 128[itex] \pi^3[/itex] and then use a trig identity to make sin^2 + cos^2 =1?

I assumed that since these were components of vectors I couldn't do this. However, if I do, I get the correct answer. I left them as is, and then took the magnitude of the resulting cross product.

Which produced

[tex]

128 \pi^3 \sqrt{sin(2 \pi t)^4+cos(2 \pi t)^4}

[/tex]

This would also produce the correct answer if sin(x)^n +cos(x)^n =1, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, sin(x)^4+cos(x)^4 is NOT 1. Yes, I think you'll need to post more work.

4. Oct 31, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you mean you got this as one of the components of the cross product or do you mean, rather, something like
    [tex]128\pi^3 sin(2\pi t)^2\vec{i} - 128 \pi^2 cos(2\pi t)^2\vec{j}[/tex]?
    If the latter, you can certainly factor out the [itex]128\pi^3[/itex] but not combine the different components.

5. Oct 31, 2008 #4
    The original question is: Find the curvature of

[tex]

\vec{r}(t) = 4cos(2 \pi t)\vec{i} + 4sin(2 \pi t)\vec{j}

[/tex]

I have a solutions guide and found the curvature using

[tex]

K = \frac{||\vec{T}'(t)||}{||\vec{r}'(t)||}

[/tex]

but I wanted to try the cross product method to see if it is easier, and just for some review.

[tex]

\vec{r}'(t) = -8 \pi sin(2 \pi t)\vec{i} + 8 \pi cos(2 \pi t)\vec{j}

[/tex]

[tex]

\vec{r}''(t) = -16 \pi^2 cos(2 \pi t)\vec{i} - 16 \pi^2 sin(2 \pi t)\vec{j}

[/tex]

[tex]

\vec{r}'(t) X \vec{r}''(t) = 128 \pi^3 sin(2 \pi t )^2\vec{i} - - 128 \pi^3 cos(2 \pi t)^2\vec{j}

[/tex]

[tex]

|| \vec{r}'(t) \crcoss \vec{r}''(t) || = \sqrt{(128 \pi^3 sin(2 \pi t )^2)^2+(28 \pi^3 cos(2 \pi t)^2)^2}

[/tex]

[tex]

||\vec{r}'(t)|| = \sqrt{(-8 \pi sin(2 \pi t))^2+(8 \pi cos(2 \pi t))^2} = 8 \pi

[/tex]

[tex]

K=\frac{||\vec{r}'(t)X \vec{r}'(t)||}{||\vec{r}'(t)||^3}=\frac{128 \pi^3 \sqrt{sin(2 \pi t)^4+cos(2 \pi t)^4}}{(8 \pi)^3}

[/tex]

As I typed all this out, I realized that I took the cross product of a 2 X 2 matrix, and probably should have taken a 3 X 3 cofactor expansion with vectors [itex] \vec{i},\vec{j} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{k} [/itex]

so i'll try that and see if it works, until then this is the problem in its entirety.

6. Oct 31, 2008 #5
    Actually, looking back over the problem, I think I assumed my 2 X 2 cross product was a cofactor expansion, where it should have been a constant. This would have allowed me to simplify that result and get the [itex] 128 \pi^3 [/itex] I needed in the numerator.

Cofactor expansion results in [itex] 0 \vec{i} + 0\vec{j} + 128 \pi^3 \vec{k} [/itex] which if I take the magnitude of that vector I get the result I need.

Do I have this somewhat straightened out not?

7. Oct 31, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks much better, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?