Calculating Velocity at a Specific Point on a Curved Slit

In summary: I'm not worried about the range, I'm worried about the sign.If cos(x) is >1, then it's positive, and if it's negative, then it's negative.Correct. cos(x) is always positive.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

The shape of the arch is defined by a sine function with a = 0.2 and the width of the arch is 1m. The velocity v is constant at 2m/s. What is the velocity at point P when x=0.25m?

arc.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

So since v is just in the x-direction, I figured that's the vx speed.
Then I came to having to find an equation to vy and this is where I get stuck. I remember from high school physics that equation of velocity can be essentially found by taking a derivative of the position equation.

In this case I get:
vy=y'=0.2*pi*cos(pi*x)

From which I can find that at x=0.25m, vy = 0.444288 m/s
But that combined with the horizontal speed of 2m/s gives me a resultant velocity of 2.05ish, instead of 2.19 that I'm supposed to get. Help please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is asking for acceleration, not velocity. You are adding apples to oranges.

BTW, is that the exact wording of the problem? - it is appauling.

Yeah, that's the exact wording.

Sorry, the question is a two parter. I'll fix that. I just decided to not even tackle acceleration if I can't figure out velocity.

Where did I see acceleration?! I must be going mad. I am so sorry. Anyway, your velocity calculation is almost correct. Your problem is that vy is the derivative of y wrt t, not x. Think chain rule.

Oh thank you, thank you! :) That allows me to get acceleration as well. Yay!

Except... Now I'm doing a question that's basically the same, except

y=0.23sin(pi*x) and Vx=2.4m/s and we have to find velocity at x=0.32

I did the same thing as before and got:
Vy = 0.552*pi*cos(2.4*pi*t)

But the thing in the brackets ends up being >1 and that can't be. What did I do? :S

Melawrghk said:
Vy = 0.552*pi*cos(2.4*pi*t)

But the thing in the brackets ends up being >1 and that can't be. What did I do? :S
What thing in brackets? Do you mean 2.4πt? What's wrong with that being >1?

Yes that, but cos can't be >1...

The cosine is not >1; its argument is >1. The domain of cos(x) is x any real number, (and actually this can be generalized even further). I think you're worried about the range. Don't worry about that; your calculator will take care of it.

1. What is a curved slit?

A curved slit is a narrow opening or gap in a surface that has a curved shape. It is typically used in scientific instruments to control the direction and intensity of light or other types of radiation.

2. How does a curved slit work?

A curved slit works by allowing only a specific direction of light or radiation to pass through it, while blocking other directions. This is achieved by the angle and shape of the curved surface, which acts as a filter to control the angular motion of the radiation.

3. What is angular motion?

Angular motion refers to the movement of an object or particle along a curved path or trajectory. It is measured in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, and is commonly used to describe the motion of objects in circular or curved paths.

4. How is curved slit used in scientific research?

Curved slits are commonly used in scientific research to study the behavior of light and other types of radiation. They are essential components in instruments such as spectrophotometers, monochromators, and diffraction gratings, which are used to analyze and measure the properties of light.

5. What are the advantages of using a curved slit?

One of the main advantages of using a curved slit is its ability to control the direction of light or radiation with precision. This allows for accurate measurements and analysis of the properties of light, making it a valuable tool in scientific research. Additionally, curved slits are relatively simple and inexpensive to produce, making them widely accessible to researchers.