1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curved slit - angular motion

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The shape of the arch is defined by a sine function with a = 0.2 and the width of the arch is 1m. The velocity v is constant at 2m/s. What is the velocity at point P when x=0.25m?

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So since v is just in the x-direction, I figured that's the vx speed.
    Then I came to having to find an equation to vy and this is where I get stuck. I remember from high school physics that equation of velocity can be essentially found by taking a derivative of the position equation.

In this case I get:
    vy=y'=0.2*pi*cos(pi*x)

From which I can find that at x=0.25m, vy = 0.444288 m/s
    But that combined with the horizontal speed of 2m/s gives me a resultant velocity of 2.05ish, instead of 2.19 that I'm supposed to get. Help please?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2

turin

Homework Helper

It is asking for acceleration, not velocity. You are adding apples to oranges.

BTW, is that the exact wording of the problem? - it is appauling.

4. Dec 3, 2008 #3
    Yeah, that's the exact wording.

Sorry, the question is a two parter. I'll fix that. I just decided to not even tackle acceleration if I can't figure out velocity.

5. Dec 3, 2008 #4

turin

Homework Helper

Where did I see acceleration?! I must be going mad. I am so sorry. Anyway, your velocity calculation is almost correct. Your problem is that vy is the derivative of y wrt t, not x. Think chain rule.

6. Dec 3, 2008 #5
    Oh thank you, thank you! :) That allows me to get acceleration as well. Yay!

7. Dec 3, 2008 #6
    Except... Now I'm doing a question that's basically the same, except

y=0.23sin(pi*x) and Vx=2.4m/s and we have to find velocity at x=0.32

I did the same thing as before and got:
    Vy = 0.552*pi*cos(2.4*pi*t)

But the thing in the brackets ends up being >1 and that can't be. What did I do? :S

8. Dec 3, 2008 #7

turin

Homework Helper

What thing in brackets? Do you mean 2.4πt? What's wrong with that being >1?

9. Dec 3, 2008 #8
    Yes that, but cos can't be >1...

10. Dec 3, 2008 #9

turin

Homework Helper

The cosine is not >1; its argument is >1. The domain of cos(x) is x any real number, (and actually this can be generalized even further). I think you're worried about the range. Don't worry about that; your calculator will take care of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?