Cylinders (or pulley) cord-motion

In summary, the problem involves two cylinders, one attached to the ceiling and the other attached to the first cylinder. The only cylinder that can move is the one at the bottom, and there is friction between the cord and cylinders. The radius and mass of both cylinders are given. The questions ask for the acceleration of the center of mass of the second cylinder, the tension in the rope, and the velocity of the second cylinder after it has moved a distance of 10R. The solution involves finding the tensions in the ropes and using equations to solve for the accelerations. The angular accelerations of the cylinders are related, but the bottom cylinder has an opposite direction.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hi PF,
See figure for a clear view of the situation.
(There's a cylinder attached to a ceiling so that it cannot move. There's a cord on it and the cord goes down until another cylinder is attached to it. So that the only cylinder that can move is the one at the bottom. I call it "second cylinder". There's friction between the cord and cylinders such that the cord cannot slide on the cylinders. The radius of both cylinder is R and their mass is worth M.)

1)What is the acceleration of the center of mass of the second cylinder?
2)How much is worth the tension in the rope?
3)What's the velocity of the second cylinder when it has moved a distance of 10R?

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm not even able to find part a).
For the second cylinder, [tex]\frac{d \vec P}{dt}=\vec F_e=M \vec a_{cm}=\vec P + \vec T_2 \Leftrightarrow \vec a_{cm} =\frac{\vec P + T_2}{M}=\vec g +\frac{\vec T_2}{M}[/tex].
Now I must find [tex]\vec T_2[/tex] in order to answer part a) so by doing it I'd solve part b).
We have that [tex]T_2=T_1[/tex].
For the first cylinder, [tex]\frac{d \vec P}{dt}=0\Leftrightarrow \vec F_e=0\Leftrightarrow \vec P + \vec T_1+ \vec N \Leftrightarrow \vec N =-\vec P - \vec T_1[/tex].
Now I chose a center of momentum in the center of mass of the first cylinder. I have that [tex]\vec L= \vec L_{\text{spin}}=I\vec \omega[/tex]. (I do that in order to find out the angular acceleration of the first cylinder and then the acceleration of the point where is exerted [tex]T_1[/tex]).
Hence [tex]\frac{d \vec L}{dt}=I\vec \alpha = Ri \wedge -T_1j=-Rt_1k \Leftrightarrow \vec \alpha =-\frac{RT_1}{I}k=-\frac{RT_1}{\frac{MR^2}{2}}k=-\frac{2T_1}{MR}k[/tex].
In a rigid body we have that the velocity of a point of the body is worth [tex]\vec v_p =\vec v_{cm}+\vec \omega \wedge \vec r \Rightarrow \vec a_p = \vec a_{cm}+ \vec \alpha \wedge \vec r+ \vec \omega \wedge \vec v = \vec \alpha \wedge \vec r = \vec \alpha \vec r =-\frac{2T_1}{MR}j \wedge Ri=-\frac{2T_1}{M}j[/tex].
Thus [tex]\vec T_1 =-2 T_1j[/tex] which is impossible.

Attachments

• escanear0001.jpg
    escanear0001.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
I'm not even able to find part a).
For the second cylinder, [tex]\frac{d \vec P}{dt}=\vec F_e=M \vec a_{cm}=\vec P + \vec T_2 \Leftrightarrow \vec a_{cm} =\frac{\vec P + T_2}{M}=\vec g +\frac{\vec T_2}{M}[/tex].
First off, what's P (I assume momentum) and how can dP/dt have a term equal to P?

How does the acceleration of the cm relate to the angular accelerations of the cylinders?

Doc Al said:
First off, what's P (I assume momentum) and how can dP/dt have a term equal to P?

How does the acceleration of the cm relate to the angular accelerations of the cylinders?

Oops... Sorry the first P is the linear momentum and it's not equal to something with it but the other P is the weight. (In Spanish weight is peso so I forgot to translate this.)
I don't understand the question
isn't it that the acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder is equal to the acceleration of this cylinder?

fluidistic said:
Oops... Sorry the first P is the linear momentum and it's not equal to something with it but the other P is the weight. (In Spanish weight is peso so I forgot to translate this.)
Weight acts down while tension acts up, so they have different signs.

I don't understand the question isn't it that the acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder is equal to the acceleration of this cylinder?
There are three accelerations in this problem: α1, α2, and acm. How are they related?

There are three accelerations in this problem: α1, α2, and acm. How are they related?
If [tex]\alpha _1[/tex] stands for the angular acceleration of the first cylinder, then I think that [tex]\alpha _1=\alpha _2[/tex]. They are related as this : [tex]a_{cm}=\alpha R[/tex]. My problem is that I have [tex]\alpha[/tex] in function of [tex]T_1[/tex]. And [tex]T_1[/tex] is an unknown.

fluidistic said:
If [tex]\alpha _1[/tex] stands for the angular acceleration of the first cylinder, then I think that [tex]\alpha _1=\alpha _2[/tex].
OK.
They are related as this : [tex]a_{cm}=\alpha R[/tex].
That's not correct.
My problem is that I have [tex]\alpha[/tex] in function of [tex]T_1[/tex]. And [tex]T_1[/tex] is an unknown.
You should have all the equations needed to solve for the accelerations and T.

Hmm sorry I don't know why it isn't true that [tex]a_{cm}=\alpha R[/tex].

fluidistic said:
Hmm sorry I don't know why it isn't true that [tex]a_{cm}=\alpha R[/tex].
Answer these questions: What's the acceleration of the rope? What's the acceleration of the bottom pulley with respect to the rope?

Doc Al said:
Answer these questions: What's the acceleration of the rope? What's the acceleration of the bottom pulley with respect to the rope?
I don't know what is the acceleration of the rope. My result was [tex]\frac{2T_1}{M}[/tex].

fluidistic said:
I don't know what is the acceleration of the rope. My result was [tex]\frac{2T_1}{M}[/tex].
That's fine. Now answer my second question.

I'm not sure at all. I'd guess it's 0m/s^2. So [tex]a_{cm}=\frac{2T}{M}[/tex]...

fluidistic said:
I'm not sure at all. I'd guess it's 0m/s^2. So [tex]a_{cm}=\frac{2T}{M}[/tex]...
If the speed of the cm with respect to the rope is 0, that means that the bottom cylinder is not rotating or unwinding. Do you really think that? :wink:

(What torque acts on the bottom cylinder? Does it have an angular acceleration about its center of mass?)

Doc Al said:
If the speed of the cm with respect to the rope is 0, that means that the bottom cylinder is not rotating or unwinding. Do you really think that? :wink:
Ahahah. ok no.

(What torque acts on the bottom cylinder? Does it have an angular acceleration about its center of mass?)
I chose the origin as being the center of mass of the bottom cylinder and the torque is [tex]Ri \wedge T_2 j[/tex]. Thus [tex]\alpha_2 = \frac{2T_2}{MR}[/tex] which is the same than [tex]\alpha _1[/tex] in magnitude but opposite in direction.
Hmm, I've no idea about how to continue from now.

Try this: Does the rope accelerate down or up? With respect to the rope, does the bottom cylinder accelerate down or up?

Both accelerates down.

Thank you for your help Doc Al. I got the answers (now I can see answer in an answer sheet).
I restarted all the problem. I imagined it as being horizontal (I don't know why it helped me a lot), I supposed that [tex]\vec \alpha _1=- \vec \alpha _2[/tex] and also that the point on the cord of the second cylinder or whatsoever it is, moves at twice the one of the first cylinder. That was the key to find out [tex]T[/tex]. From it it was very easy to find [tex]a_{cm}[/tex] hence I find the problem badly asked. (They should have inverted part a) with part b)).

What is a cylinder?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional geometric shape that has two parallel circular bases connected by a curved surface. It is often referred to as a solid circular prism.

How does a cylinder work?

In the context of pulley systems, a cylinder acts as a circular lever that is used to transfer motion and force between two objects. When a cord is wrapped around a cylinder, pulling on one end of the cord causes the other end to move in the opposite direction.

What is cord motion?

Cord motion refers to the movement of a cord or rope as it is pulled or released from a cylinder or pulley system. This motion is typically used to transfer force or motion between two objects.

What are some common uses of cylinders in cord-motion systems?

Cylinders are commonly used in pulley systems to lift and move heavy objects such as in elevators or cranes. They are also used in various machines and tools, such as engines and bicycle gears, to transfer motion and force between different parts.

What are the advantages of using cylinders in cord-motion systems?

Cylinders offer a mechanical advantage in cord-motion systems by allowing a smaller amount of force to be used to move a larger load. They also provide a smooth and consistent motion, making them reliable and efficient in various applications.