1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical fishing reel problem using moment of inertia

1. May 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cylindrical fishing reel has a mass of 0.85 kg and a radius of 4.5 cm. A friction clutch in the reel exerts a restraining torque of 1.6 N·m if a fish pulls on the line. The fisherman gets a bite, and the reel begins to spin with an angular acceleration of 66 rad/s2.
    a) Find the force of the fish on the line.
    b) Find the amount of line that unwinds in .5 seconds.

2. Relevant equations
    I = .5mr^2
    theta = .5at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the moment of inertia to be 8.606. What I don't understand is how to relate the torque to the moment of inertia. I dont know if my calculator should be set to radians or degrees, but I tried both ways and got them both wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

First of all I needs to be calculated with the radius as .045. That makes your I off by a factor of 104

I = 8.6*10-4

T = a*I

So accounting for the force on the line and the restraining force ...

F*.045 = 1.6 + 66*8.6*10-4

You have the right equation for b. Just remember that since θ is in radians, you need to provide θ*r for the length of line that reels off.

4. May 4, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

5. May 26, 2009 #4
    Alright thanks so much! I understand how to do it now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook