Fishing reel and restraining torque

• Thread starter ajmCane22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses a fish pulling on a fishing reel with a force of 3.0 N and a friction clutch that exerts a restraining torque of 0.044 Nm. The question asks for the angular acceleration of the fishing reel and the amount of line pulled in 0.30 seconds. The formula rF/mr^2 is mentioned but there is uncertainty about how to incorporate the restraining torque into the calculation. The solution may involve using additional formulas for torque, moment of inertia, and angular speed.
ajmCane22

Homework Statement

A fish takes the bait and pulls on the line with a force of 3.0 N. The fishing reel, which has a friction clutch that exerts a restraining torque of 0.044 N m, is a cylinder of radius 0.060 m and mass 0.82 kg.

(a) What is the angular acceleration of the fishing reel?

(b) How much line does the fish pull from the reel in 0.30 s?

Homework Equations

rF/mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know which formula to use to find angular acceleration, but I'm not sure what to do with the restraining torque (0.044N). Do I just subtract 0.044 N from 3.0 N and substitute that number for F or is there more to it that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
0.044 N
This is not simply "N", but "Nm", which is a torque.
I think you have to look your book for torque, moment of inertia, angular speed.

1. What is a fishing reel and how does it work?

A fishing reel is a device used to store, release, and retrieve fishing line. It works by using a spool to hold the fishing line and a handle to turn the spool, allowing the line to be released or retrieved. The reel also has a drag system to control the tension on the line when a fish is hooked.

2. What is restraining torque in a fishing reel and why is it important?

Restraining torque refers to the resistance or force applied to the spool of a fishing reel to prevent it from spinning uncontrollably. This is important because it helps to maintain tension on the fishing line and ensures that the line does not become tangled or loose, allowing for smooth and controlled casting and retrieving of the line.

3. How is restraining torque adjusted on a fishing reel?

The restraining torque on a fishing reel can be adjusted by using the drag system. This is typically done by turning a knob or lever on the reel, which either adds or reduces pressure on the spool. The amount of drag applied can be adjusted depending on the size and strength of the fish being caught.

4. What factors can affect the restraining torque of a fishing reel?

The main factor that affects the restraining torque of a fishing reel is the drag system. A well-maintained drag system with quality materials will provide a smooth and consistent restraining torque. Other factors that can affect the restraining torque include the size and weight of the fish being caught, the strength of the fishing line, and the skill of the angler in controlling the reel.

5. How can I maintain the restraining torque of my fishing reel?

To maintain the restraining torque of your fishing reel, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the drag system. This will ensure that it operates smoothly and effectively. It is also important to avoid over-tightening the drag system, as this can cause damage to the reel and decrease the effectiveness of the restraining torque. Additionally, using the appropriate size and strength of fishing line for the type of fish being caught can also help maintain the restraining torque of the reel.