1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D dimension scalar potential for point charge

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that with [itex]d[/itex] spatial dimensions the potential [itex]\phi[/itex] due to a point charge [itex]q[/itex] is given by
    [tex]\phi (r) = \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2}-1)}{4\pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The electric field strength is known to be:
    [tex]E(r) = \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}[/tex]
    [tex]E(r) = \sqrt{(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}})^2}[/tex]
    [tex]E(r) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{d}\sum_{i=1}^d(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}})^2}[/tex]
    [tex]E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}})^2}[/tex]
    Since the magnetic field will be the same in all directions, we know that
    [tex]\vec {E}(r) = (\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}},\cdots)[/tex]
    [tex]\phi(r) = -\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}dr[/tex]
    [tex]\phi(r) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{1}{(d-2)}\frac{q}{r^{d-2}}[/tex]
    [tex]\phi(r) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{1}{2(\frac{1}{2}d-1)}\frac{q}{r^{d-2}}[/tex]
    [tex]\phi(r) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2}-1)}{4 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-2}}[/tex]

Why am I getting an extra [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}?[/itex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2
    How did you go the first equation above to the second? And also, what is it that you are summing over? You have the summation sign, but no [itex]i[/itex] index on any of your terms

PS: to get scalable parenthesis, use the command \left( and \right) between your work :wink:

4. Dec 1, 2009 #3
    The first equation is
    [tex]
    E(r) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{d}\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}
    [/tex]

taking [itex]\frac{1}{d}[/itex] through the sum yields

[tex]
    E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d\frac{1}{d} \left(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}
    [/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]
    E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\right)^2 \left(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}
    [/tex]

so we can collect it into 1 squared term

[tex]
    E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}
    [/tex]

I am summing over the dimensions. By definition of [itex] E(r) [/itex] as the magnitude of the electric field,
    [tex] E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d \left. E_{x^i}\right. ^2 [/tex]
    where [itex] E_{x^i}[/itex] are the components of [itex] \vec{E} [/itex]
    The sum is used with the fact that changing the order of the dimensions should not change the electric field to calculate the electric field from the magnitude.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  5. Dec 1, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It almost looks like you are using this to argue that [tex]E_{x^i}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}[/itex]....but you can't really conclude this from the fact that [tex] \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}= \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d \left. E_{x^i}\right. ^2}[/itex] any more than you can conclude that 2=1, 2=2 and 2=3 from the fact that [itex]1+2+3=2+2+2[/itex]

6. Dec 1, 2009 #5
    That was indeed what I was trying to argue. I feel quite silly now. Thankyou for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook