1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D'Alambertian operator on the heaviside function?

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

How does one compute the following quantity:

[itex]\Box \theta(x_{0})=\partial_{0}\partial^{0}\theta(x_{0})[/itex]?

I know that [itex]\partial_{0}\theta(x_{0})=\delta(x_{0})[/itex] which is the Dirac delta, but what about the second derivative?

Thanks everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2
    Heaviside and Dirac delta are examples of distributions. They are a kind of generalized function, and only defined by their action on some "test function" in an inner-product. Integrals satisfy the properties of inner products, so choosing some smooth function [itex] \varphi (x) [/itex] that vanishes at infinity, we have,
    [tex] \int \partial_x\delta(x)\varphi(x) dx = -\int \delta(x) \partial_x \varphi(x) dx = -\partial_x\varphi(0) [/tex]
    using integration by parts.

So the action of the distribution [itex] \partial_x^2 \theta(x) [/itex] on a smooth function [itex] \varphi(x) [/itex] produces [itex] -\partial_x\varphi(0)[/itex]

4. Nov 3, 2014 #3
    hmm but my situation involves no integrals - basically I'm trying to compute the following:

[itex]\Box [\theta(x_{0})\phi(x)\phi^{\dagger}(0)][/itex]

where [itex]\phi, \phi^{\dagger}[/itex] are solutions to the complex Klein-Gordon equation.

I've been told that [itex]\partial^{0}\theta(x_{0})=\partial_{0}\theta(x_{0})=\delta(x_{0})[/itex]. I'm not sure how this matches up to what you said above?

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That product is mathematically ill-defined, because you have a multiplication of 3 distributions. In the so-called classical theory of distributions, there's no way to 'multiply' them.
    As a note (rumor), I heard that Colombeau's theory of distributions somehow addresses this issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook