Damn it, PF again erase all of my work

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bar on two frictionless rails with a resistor and a magnetic field. The question asks for the applied force needed to move the bar at a constant speed. The solution involves determining the direction of the induced current, which can be found by considering the direction of the magnetic field and using Lenz's law. The conversation also mentions a browser issue and suggests selecting the "remember me" option when logging in to prevent session timeouts.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I honestly don't understand why such an advanced forum won't save or let you hit backspace on your work...

The figure below shows a top view of a bar that can slide on two frictionless rails. The resistors is R = 6ohms, 2.50T B-field into the page, l = 1.2m

a) Find the applied force required to move the bar to the right at a constant speed of 2m/s

Solutions

I know that constant speed implies immediately that the magnetic force is to the left, which implies the current must also be counterclockwise. But I don't want to use this method.

I want to know just how can you tell that the induced current is counterclockwise, just how do you know the positive charges will be at the top and the negatives will be at the bottom? If this problem doesn't say constant speed, how do I determine the direction of the induced current?

Should I wrap my hands around the bar (even though it does NOT say it is conducting) and see that the bar produces a current clockwise because of the 2.5T b-field that is directed into the page and by Lenz's law the induced current is counterclockwise?

Physics news on Phys.org
Picture looks like this, the black arrows are drawn from another problem, so it isn't reall there

[PLAIN]http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/1065/60582408.png

Last edited by a moderator:
flyingpig said:
I honestly don't understand why such an advanced forum won't save or let you hit backspace on your work...

It's not the site that won't let you hit backspace, that will be a browser issue.

cristo said:
It's not the site that won't let you hit backspace, that will be a browser issue.

Also, when logging in, select the "remember me" box. This seems to prevent sessions from timing out.

As a scientist, it is important to remain calm and collected in the face of frustration. It is understandable to feel frustrated when your work is erased or when you encounter difficulties in understanding a problem. However, it is important to approach the problem with a clear and logical mindset.

In this situation, it is important to first understand the problem and its given conditions. From the figure and information provided, we can see that the bar is in a magnetic field and has a resistor. This suggests that the bar is conducting and can produce an induced current.

To determine the direction of the induced current, we can use Lenz's law which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux. In this case, the bar is moving to the right, so the induced current will flow in a direction that counteracts this motion, which is counterclockwise.

If the problem does not explicitly state constant speed, we can still use this principle to determine the direction of the induced current. We can also use the right-hand rule, where we wrap our fingers around the bar in the direction of motion and our thumb points in the direction of the induced current.

In conclusion, it is important to remain calm and logical when encountering difficulties in scientific problems. By understanding the principles and conditions of the problem, we can approach it with a clear and focused mindset, leading to a successful solution.

1. Why did PF erase all of my work?

There could be several reasons why PF erased your work, such as a technical glitch or a mistake on your part. It's important to save your work regularly to avoid losing it.

2. Can I recover my erased work?

It depends on the circumstances of the erasure. If the file was accidentally deleted, there may be a chance to recover it. However, if it was overwritten or permanently deleted, it may not be possible to recover the work.

3. How can I prevent PF from erasing my work in the future?

To prevent PF from erasing your work, make sure to save your work regularly and back it up in multiple locations. You can also use autosave features or version control software to safeguard against accidental erasure.

4. Is there a way to retrieve previous versions of my work?

Some software programs have a version history feature that allows you to access previous versions of your work. If your program doesn't have this feature, you may need to manually save different versions of your work or use a version control system.

5. Can I file a complaint about PF erasing my work?

If you believe that PF's erasure of your work was due to a technical issue or system error, you may file a complaint with the appropriate support team. However, if it was due to your own mistake or negligence, it may not be possible to file a complaint.