Induced current in magnet (what would happen if....)

Better to specify which end you are referring to.In summary, the conversation is about understanding induced magnetic fields and confirming answers to various questions. The direction of the current and magnetic field are discussed, as well as their relationship to the motion of a magnet. The effect of varying speed on the induced current and magnetic field is also considered. The conversation ends with a question about resonance and its connection to the topic.
A-linav

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 10.54.54 PM.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding induced magnetic fields. I was wondering if someone can explain it for me and confirm if I have the right answers?

a) I labelled it [North | South], and the direction of the current is going counterclockwise
b) If the direction of motion of the magnet is reversed, the direction of the current is reversed (in this case it would go clockwise and [South | North] ). The magnetic field produced by the current will oppose the change that produces the current and pull back on the bar magnet, resisting the inducing action.
c) If the magnet is moved more quickly, the coils will rotate faster and a greater current will be created. (Im not sure what would happen to the magnetic field? would it be a stronger opposing force?)
d) I am completely lost at this last question... Would the induced current be greater because there is a constant change in direction/speed? Would the magnetic field be greater because it is constantly changing?

This is just an introductory course so I have not learned about Farraday's law (only Lenz's law). Any insight is appreciated please and thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 10.54.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 10.54.54 PM.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 478
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A-linav said:
[North | South], and the direction of the current is going counterclockwise
Not quite sure what you mean by counterclockwise in this context.
Are you saying it would be left to right in the straight portion and right to left (as viewed in the diagram) in the coil?
That doesn't sound right to me.

haruspex said:
Not quite sure what you mean by counterclockwise in this context.
Are you saying it would be left to right in the straight portion and right to left (as viewed in the diagram) in the coil?
That doesn't sound right to me.

I meant it like this picture right here how it's coiled. Am I right?
And am I right about the other questions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 435
A-linav said:
the coils will rotate faster
The coils don't move.
A-linav said:
would it be a stronger opposing force?)
Yes.
A-linav said:
Im completely lost at this last question
I'm not sure what they after either. Maybe something about resonance?
A-linav said:
I meant it like this picture right here how it's coiled. Am I right?
Ok. The problem with just saying "counterclockwise", meaning the direction the current flows around the rod, is that it depends which end of the rod you are looking from.

1. What would happen if a magnet is moved closer to a coil?

When a magnet is moved closer to a coil, the magnetic field of the magnet lines up with the coil and induces an electric current. The direction of the induced current depends on the direction of the movement of the magnet and the orientation of the coil.

2. How does the number of coils in a solenoid affect the induced current?

The number of coils in a solenoid affects the strength of the magnetic field produced. This in turn affects the magnitude of the induced current. A larger number of coils will produce a stronger magnetic field and therefore a larger induced current.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnet and the induced current?

The strength of the magnet directly affects the strength of the induced current. A stronger magnet will produce a stronger magnetic field and therefore a larger induced current. Similarly, a weaker magnet will produce a weaker magnetic field and a smaller induced current.

4. Can the direction of the induced current be changed?

Yes, the direction of the induced current can be changed by changing the orientation of the magnet or the coil. If the magnet or coil is flipped, the direction of the induced current will also be flipped.

5. How does the speed of the magnet's movement affect the induced current?

The speed of the magnet's movement affects the magnitude of the induced current. A faster movement will result in a larger induced current, while a slower movement will result in a smaller induced current. This is because a faster movement causes a larger change in the magnetic field, which induces a larger current in the coil.