Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damping conditions for multi degrees of freedom

1. Dec 26, 2013 #1
    I know that d^2<4mk for underdamped, d^2>4mk for overdamped and d^2=4mk for critically damped. This is true if there is only 1 mass and spring and damper. How to use these equations if I have 2 mass, 3 spring and 3 dampers. That is d,m,k are in 2x2 matrices. Please some one help me with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You should specify the configuration exactly and then we can write the equations of motion!

4. Dec 26, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the most general case, the damped vibration modes of the system are the eigenvalues and vectors of the quadratic eigenproblem ##(m + \lambda d + \lambda^2k)x = 0##. The solutions will be of the form ##x(t) = X e^{(-\sigma + i \omega) t} ## where ##X## is a complex eigenvector, ##-\sigma + i \omega## is the complex eigenvalue, and the physical solution ##x(t)## is the real part of the right hand side of the equation. ##\sigma## represents the amount of damping, and ##\omega## the damped oscillation frequency (which is 0 for an overdamped system)

If you get lucky, the eigenvectors will be real, and the same as the eigenvectors of the undamped system ##(m - \omega_u^2 k)x = 0## (but of course the eigenvalues will be different, and the undamped frequency ##\omega_u## is not equal to the damped frequency ##\omega##).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook