Dancing Orbs and Strange White Light

In summary: Witnesses of the Naga Fireballs often describe them as looking like glowing balls of gas or fire, and they often move around. The balls themselves have been known to sometimes emit a sound, and sometimes they will simply vanish. One theory is that these balls are simply light refraction from water droplets, but the fact that they have been seen in so many places around the world suggests that there must be something more to them.
Liger20
Hello, I wanted to make a post about this, because this is a topic that has bothered me for a very long time. I live in a very mountainous region, and I just recently discovered that there have been stories going around this area for a long time about something that I saw when I was much younger. The stories say that there is some kind of light that people have seen that breaks up and supposedly dances around in white orbs. Now, first of all, I want to make it very clear that I am skeptical any sort of supernatural phenomena, and I believe that most everything can be explained by science. However, I saw something very similar to this once, and I want to explain my experience to you, because I just have to figure out what this was:

It was a night in July, and I looked out the front window, and I saw this big ball of white light sort of flash and disappear right out on my driveway. Then I looked out over onto this mountain near my house, and I saw this white glow covering it. It’s hard for me to explain exactly what it looked like, but in a way it looked like a big white fog. Interestingly, it would disappear, and then flash every few seconds, as though something sparked it. I also saw these strange white orbs floating around in the woods below my house. I didn’t dream these things either, because everyone in my neighborhood saw them, and nobody could figure out what it was.

I really hope that someone can offer a perfectly valid scientific explanation for this extremely interesting phenomenon. My guess is that it might have something to do with a bizarre electromagnetic phenomenon, but I can’t be 100 percent sure. I suppose it might have something to do with heat lightning. Everyone I know thinks it has to do with the supernatural, but I think there is a perfectly scientific explanation for it, which is why I want to find out what it really is.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several locations where orbs such as this are known to appear. I'm sure someone can provide specific location references (I don't recall details). But basically, if I recall correctly, they are often caused by car headlights broken up by trees that go through some atmospheric scattering.

There are a couple of natural phenomena that are recognized but not understood - ball lightning and Earth lights. So while your experience may be the result of something more commonplace, it could have been something like ball lightning. No need to invoke the supernatural. :biggrin:

People see glowing orbs on a somewhat regular basis in the Mt. Addams area of Oregon/Washington. They are clearly not headlights as they are seen on and above the mountain. [Edit: I should have said that was my impression based on a number of videos seen over the years]

Last edited:
Likes sonatinac
Hi there,i'm very new to this forum,I would like to tell you about somthing strange that happened in my freinds back garden(cought on cctv NO HOAX) a strange wobbly light appeared and started to shine light around bushes in his back garden,it would go away and later return to the same place,this happened over four nights and has not been seen since. you can see footage on youtube uk at weird_object.avi. tell me what you think.

Throughout history, accounts of these phenomenon have been experienced by many different societies - I think the Druids called them Will 'o' Wisp. I have always had a curiosity to what these really are. If all known scientific approaches fail to explain the phenomenon then commonly the event may be labeled as "supernatural" which I think turns people away from taking some serious, detailed and a preferably repeatable scientific approach to explain it. Suppose the event gains the label as "supernatural", if there is real objective evidence of the event, there must be a scientific explanation for it. Whether its as simple as a unique and rare light refraction or the "pixies" from extra curled up dimensions of string theory playing pranks on us - it must have scientific explanation if true objective data exist of an event.

heres somthing similar from Thailand

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-fiery-balls-of-naga"
http://www.ezytourthailand.com/images/tours/Naga-Fireball2.jpg [Broken]

Supernatural phenomena always seem to be met by photographers who possesses a supernatural ability to botch a simple photograph, and the Naga Fireballs phenomenon of the Mekong river in Thailand is no exception. Images of these glowing, egg-sized orbs are always grainy, indistinct, and from a distance, but one factor does lend these fireballs the credibility that it’s supernatural cousins lack… thousands upon thousands of eyewitnesses every year for over 100 years. In fact, they have been observed by so many that their existence is not really debated, rather it is their cause that prompts lively discussion.

Locals claim that these fireballs are the product of the “Naga,” a large magical serpent who patrols the river. Every year, around the end of October, hundreds of locals and tourists gather to watch the pinkish-red, glowing orbs emerge randomly from the water, and soar into the sky without a sound or smoke trail. The number of fireballs varies from year to year, but according to locals, the fireballs have occurred annually as far back as generational memory can reach.

The attempts at scientific explanations leave much to be desired, such as the theory proposed by Manas Kanoksin, a doctor from Nong Khai. He strongly believes that fermenting sediment on the river’s bottom causes pockets of methane gas to form, and that the Earth’s position in relation to the sun during those days of the year causes them to rise, then spontaneously ignite in the presence of ionized oxygen. But other researchers dismiss this claim, pointing out that the rocky river bottom doesn’t have much sediment, and that the water’s turbulence would break up any such methane bubbles before they reached the water’s surface. A 2002 study using robotic submarines indicated that the methane theory was at least viable, but did not address the question of how the bubbles could reach the surface intact.

There is also the very real possibility that the fireballs are man made, but the architects of such a hoax would have to be clever indeed to avoid detection for these hundreds of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
kevinw1969 said:
Hi there,i'm very new to this forum,I would like to tell you about somthing strange that happened in my freinds back garden(cought on cctv NO HOAX) a strange wobbly light appeared and started to shine light around bushes in his back garden,it would go away and later return to the same place,this happened over four nights and has not been seen since. you can see footage on youtube uk at weird_object.avi. tell me what you think.

This was allegedly caught on a security cam?

Edit - originally quoted the wrong post.

Last edited:
Yes this was cought on cctv,there is other footage that my friend is going to record to cd,when i get this disc i will let you know. If anyone can give a reasonable explanation for this natural or not, it would be much appreciated.

kevinw1969 said:
Yes this was cought on cctv,there is other footage that my friend is going to record to cd,when i get this disc i will let you know. If anyone can give a reasonable explanation for this natural or not, it would be much appreciated.

This was allegedly first observed on camera as seen in the video?

Last edited:
No allegedly about it,it is real footage and untampered with.

So not only did this light thing just happen to appear directly in front of the camera, but it stayed there precisely centered in the frame, all by itself.

Given that it comes back to the same place each time and you have such good evidence, you should contact your local news agency and have them come out and record the phenomenon. When it runs on your local news station, be sure to start a new thread with a link to the news story.

1. What are dancing orbs and strange white light?

Dancing orbs and strange white light are natural phenomena that occur in the night sky. Dancing orbs refer to orbs of light that appear to move or dance across the sky, while strange white light refers to unusual, bright flashes of light that appear in the sky.

2. What causes dancing orbs and strange white light?

The exact cause of dancing orbs and strange white light is still unknown, but they are believed to be caused by atmospheric conditions. Some theories suggest that they may be caused by electrical discharges or ionized gases in the atmosphere.

3. Are dancing orbs and strange white light dangerous?

No, dancing orbs and strange white light are not dangerous. They are natural phenomena and do not pose any threat to humans or the environment.

4. Can dancing orbs and strange white light be predicted?

Currently, there is no way to predict when dancing orbs or strange white light will occur. They are rare and unpredictable phenomena.

5. How can I observe dancing orbs and strange white light?

The best way to observe dancing orbs and strange white light is to find a dark, open area with little light pollution. Look up at the night sky and keep a watchful eye for any unusual movement or flashes of light. It may take some patience and luck, but with a little persistence, you may be able to witness these fascinating phenomena.